Monday, July 28, 2008

Food-a-holics

Something you may not know about me, but I LOVE to cook. Shortly after I had Lee, I was so overwhelmed with mothering that I broke into tears one day and asked Cody "What did I ever do before Lee? Do I still have a life?" It was then that I remembered that I've always had a passion for food, and made a personal goal to pour my natural creativity into something everyone has to do: eat. That way I had a really good excuse to take personal time, and I could get immense satisfaction from a simple daily task like fixing dinner. Cody gave me leave to purchase nice ingredients every now and then, and I've come up with some fun recipes.

Here's tonight's dinner:

Herbed Trout and Pesto Tortellini

This is not a meal I typically measure ingredients in, but I'll give you the recipe as close to as I guess I did it:

For the Trout:

We caught 2 fresh, yummy, good sized trout. I cut some fresh herbs from my garden: Basil, Italian Parsley, Thyme, and Oregano. On a large piece of foil, put the fish, stuff with about 2 cups of mixed herbs (some go inside, then the rest go on/under/around). Season liberally with salt and pepper. Add the zest of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp olive oil. Wrap in the foil and bake at 500 degrees (we did it on the grill) for 15-20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. When it is done, squeeze the juice from the lemon you zested all over the fish. mmmmmmmmm good

Basil Pesto Tortellini:

Cook up 4 servings of tortellini according to package directions. We used dry, but only because we had that on hand. Frozen or fresh would be WAY better.
In a food processor, put:
1/2 cup (a large handful) walnuts
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
Puree it all up. I find it helps to start with just the nuts and cheese, especially if you cut the cheese from the block. Stream in the oil at the end until it reaches a medium thick paste consistency. Toss with the hot pasta. We threw fresh, homegrown cherry tomatoes on the top of ours. Again, YUMMY!

Try out my recipes! For those GF of you out there, basil pesto is equally yummy over roasted potatoes. Just cube your potatoes, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil. Bake at 350 for 40-60 min, until they are soft in the middle and crunchy outside. Then toss with the pesto just like you would the pasta. You can even put the fish in the same oven, for about the same amount of time. (Keep an eye on it though.)

And if you want to commission a recipe from me, I don't charge, and I'm always up for a little challenge!

3 comments:

Granny D Fifield said...

Delicious way to problem solve. I'm definitely going to try the fish that way. Another Food-a-holic :)

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

yuh uh uhmmmmm! We used to do salmon that way when we lived near the ocean.

Angeli said...

Gotta try it Lisa, you are supburb!