Friday, August 15, 2008

A Summer Specialty




I have been looking forward to this day since the moment we planted our garden...actually, much longer than that, since last year, possibly even before that.

The first B.L.T.'s! Whoever invented this perfect combination of lightly toasted bread, creamy mayonnaise (NOT Miracle-corn-syrup-unreal-sickly-weird-whip), crisp bacon, light lettuce and perfectly ripe tomatoes deserves a major award. Of course, a B.L.T. is no more than a sandwich unless it has homegrown, vine-ripened (truly vine-ripened, not just chopped off with some stem attached) tomatoes on it. When you have the right tomatoes, and the bacon is perfectly cooked, and the bread is still slightly warm from the toaster.....oh man, this is one of my favorite summer treats; perhaps it IS my favorite. The only thing that could make it better would be to serve it alongside some hot corn on the cob and a tall fresh raspberry shake. As you can tell, I'm not opinionated on this sandwich at all, am I?

I think I need to go buy more bacon...even though I ate 2 sandwiches for dinner tonight, they still sound good.

6 comments:

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

yum, you make me want to change the menu I have planned cause that sounds so good & refreshing.

Shay said...

You are making my mouth water!!! And I just ate lunch!!! How did you do that??? You should invite us over for lunch or dinner sometime when that particular meal (BLT's, corn on the cob, and raspberry shake) is on the menu. ^_^

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Thanks to your luscious tomatoes, we got to have these last night too, and we DID have corn on the cob. Hmmm, we didn't make raspberry milkshakes, somebody in that picture ate the last of the Aggie vanilla ice cream.

Sara said...

hear hear! BLTs are basically the best thing ever. :)

Raychel said...

You're making my mouth water. I totally agree with you on the Mayo. I think I'm going to eat a B.L.T.

bridget said...

I obviously don't check your blog often enough...LOVE the videos--hilarious. I really LOVE your haircut. It looks so good!