Monday, December 15, 2008

More thoughts from me about Christmas

video
I just thought this movie exemplified the feeling of every mom with young children at this time of year. There's this desire to make things nice, you know, Norman Rockwell eat your heart out nice--like a magazine or something. We want nice music playing, nice decorations, perfect food, as if this will make our holidays all the better. But really we should try to just relax and enjoy our time together.

We took this movie last year on Christmas Eve. My Aunt Karin (Old Auntie Bones) pulled out her cello and my sister Sara was on the violin, and I on the piano. Of course we do things a little differently in our family and just play out of the good ol' hymn book, and say "Ok, you play the first verse, I'll do the second, and we'll doodle on the third, and that sounds pretty good, right?" and then we go. Wait for the end, when little Lee age 18 months here sneaks away from whoever was holding him captive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel this innate need to have a beautiful "White Christmas", but what I really want is to watch my children be children. And if that means having a messed up song, or the needles pulled off the tree, or a few broken ornaments, or even a headache at the end of the day, I'll do it.

4 comments:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

This is so right. I hope that you keep telling that to yourself over and over the next few years. I didn't, and one Christmas Eve got myself all worked up. I forgot the really important things.

bridget said...

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!
SO, SO, SO TRUE!

Angeli said...

I enjoyed that one immensley. Well said. I get so excited every year. We miss that little piano player.

Sue said...

So true!!!!

One of my favorite videos (thanks for the reminder - I must find it and watch it while the family is all here) is Rob & Emily singing a sweet duet and Alaina is just BOUND and DETERMINED to do the special effects in the background. It made Rob crazy and made me laugh so hard.

In Fact, I'm laughing now just remembering. Wish I knew how to download, upload, (whatever) old family videos so I could put that one up.