Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Year in Words

2008 ends tomorrow, and so today's blog post is a moment of introspection on some very important moments in my life.

December of 2007 we found out I was pregnant again, which defined a goodly chunk of this year. My pregnancy, the labor and delivery, the week-plus I went overdue, and just the aches and pains, and joyous occasion of bringing a baby into the world, all were very important this year. September 11, 2008, our beautiful baby daughter, Annalisa Karin, was born. From those first few moments with her, I could see in her face that she had been sent to earth for a very specific, very important mission. The day she was born, I held her up to Cody and started talking in a silly Annalisa-voice: "My name is Annalisa! And I am here in this world to stay! And I have something to say to you all. And that is..." I paused to think of some clever thing for Anna to say, when she very suddenly, and very nosily, filled her diaper. But in all seriousnes, Annalisa has this very observant, very precious look on her face, that she knows something more than I know, and she wishes she could say it. She has brough much joy into our lives.

We had several important experiences with extended family this year--both our parents moved hundreds of miles. This brought Lisa's parents much, much closer (from a 16 hour drive to a 2 minute drive), but unfortunately sent Cody's parents farther away (from a 2 hour drive to a 6 hour drive). Also this year was the great miracle of our nephew, Parker, as he spent 6 months in the hospital, mostly waiting for a heart transplant. Watching him, as he has been through every extreme this year, has brought us closer to our kind and merciful Father in Heaven, and reassured to us that He knows us each personally and hears and answers prayer.

Cody began a new career this year, in April. He had no clue that Finances would turn out to be his passion, but he loves his job now and will soon be starting a Master's degree in this profession.

We spent many hours staying as up-to-date as possible on the world around us. With the financial crisis, the presidential elections, the war in Iraq, gay marriage issues, and the hundreds of other things going on this year, it was all we could do just to find out what was going on. We did try our best, though, to carefully and prayerfully think out the issues at hand, and participate any way we could to better our community.

Amid these "big" things, there were countless smiles, laughter, and tears, and that is what truly defines a year. Did we make it a good one? Did we make this year special, or memorable? Did we help others? As one of my favorite hymns reminds: "Has anyone's burden been lighter today, because I was willing to share? Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way, when they needed my help was I there?"

This is my new Year's resolution: To make 2009 even better; to find more opportunities to help, to cherish the smiles a little more, to be a happier person, and to fill this year with good memories. Tall order, I know. :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

2 comments:

Granny D Fifield said...

Thanks for the last two blogs. Darling kids!! We truly are blessed aren't we? Good things blog posts don't wear out and we can look at them lots of times.

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

I love the "year in words" and "year in pictures." Mind if I copy?