Thursday, January 1, 2009

P.T. post #1

POTTY TRAINING! I've been scared of potty training ever since I realized that Lee would someday need to do it. I came to the conclusion that if I could get through potty training, that I would be able to face any obstacle a parent faces. Funny, but potty training scared me even more than teenagehood. And yes, I will be eating those words in just a few short years.

But anyway, with this fear in my heart, I was putting it off. I can't any longer. At the beginning of December we started the first few feeble steps--just taking Lee to the toilet a few times a day, just to get him comfortable with the idea. Christmas day he gave us a nice present--the first non-poopy diaper! Since then, he's been going in the toilet about once a day. Yesterday we upped the ante, and took him to the bathroom about every hour. He peed every time. He knows now what to do once you get there, but doesn't know how to hold it, or how to tell us/tell when he needs to go.

Cody says we should put him in briefs now. Ha. He also thinks human waste can be cleaned up with a dab from a damp cloth.

Now we're testing different motivation strategies. We have a little cup of M&M's in a drawer in the bathroom, and he gets 1 for pee, 2 for poop. Also, this morning, we found a very motivational chant that he seemed to enjoy, which we learned from Super Nanny, and into which we inserted Lee's long-standing Japanese nickname:

"Go, Lee-kun, Go! Go poopy in the toilet!"

Forgive me if I've grossed you out. I don't think I'll ever let Lee read this post.

No comments: