Monday, January 12, 2009

The Story of the Elk

After my last post, I suppose I should tell you the story of the Elk.

They say bad things happen in 3's, right?

#1: During a bad snowstorm during December, Cody was backing out in our Civic, backing out of an unfamiliar driveway, hit a fence, and sheared off the passenger side mirror.

#2: A few days later, my wonderful father accidentally bumped our Accord as he was backing out of a twisty driveway, causing a tiny dent and (GASP) $600 damage. :P

#3: A few more days later, Cody went to Bear Lake for work. He was driving our Civic. He was going under the speed limit, but he was driving in the dark through a mountain pass. He says he saw the elk crossing the street, said to himself "OH CRUMOLA," slammed on the breaks, and hit the front two legs of the elk, which crunched the front left side of the car. It ripped off the edge of the bumper, the light, back to the tire, and left a dent on the hood and the door. The car was still driveable, but the poor elk didn't make it, and Cody helped it off to the side of the road and called the police, who hopefully humanely put the thing out if its misery. I thought for sure the car would be totaled; that much damage on a 1998 Honda Civic with 150,000 miles on it? But no, it was surprisingly only $1500 damage. Not nice, but we will only pay our deductible. I'm glad we bought full coverage for that car. So today we took the Civic in to be repaired, and it will be out of service for a week. I'm also glad we purchased a second vehicle, otherwise we'd be very stuck.

I should have taken a picture of the damaged car, I suppose. This post seems oddly naked without a picture. Hm. OK, I'll put one on so it doesn't seem naked any more. :)
This picture was taken a whopping 6 1/2 years ago, back in 2002. It is my siblings and I, along with our dog Max. We're a talented bunch, wouldn't you say? It only took us another year before we all grew out our bangs.

8 comments:

Matthew said...

Hey, I didn't grow out my bangs!

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

She didn't say "grow out" she said "grow out of" and I think you have less bangs as well.

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

OK, she did say "grew out" I stand corrected. But I think she meant "grew out of."

Lisa said...

Sorry, what I truly meant was "Those of us WITH BANGS grew them out." You did not have bangs to begin with, and you did not grow them out, Matthew.

8:00 am - 1:00 pm said...

Ya'll are too funny. Poor Elk. Poorer Lisa & Cody because the elk never learned how to look both ways before crossing the street. Thank goodness for insurance.

Melanie said...

I'd hate to hit an Elk. But, considering the size of elks, it could have been much worse. Last year I saw lots and lots and lots of dead dear and elk on the side of the highways from Duchesne to Colorado, from Duchesne to Heber, from Heber to Ogden, etc. Lots and lots! Then once I saw only the legs of one HUGE elk right on the shoulder...it was so big I couldn't even see it's shoulders and head. Yikes! Sorry about the damage, but glad Cody and car were safe. (Bytheyway....how exactly did he "help the thing" off the road? I've always wondered what I would do if I hit one...yucky.)

Lisa said...

The Elk laid down in the middle of the road, with both front legs broken. Cody pulled over, got out to drag the thing off the road, but when he touched it gently, it stood and hobbled off. I still feel bad for it.

Sara said...

I thought of this picture last night while talking to friends about spoons on noses!! We must have had the same brainwave, because here it is! good times. haha