Saturday, February 7, 2009

This is why I spend $30 for a haircut.

It was getting about that time, when all of us in our little family needed a haircut. I'd mentioned to Cody a couple of times, offhandedly, that it was haircut time. I thought that it would be like normal: I go to my favorite Salon, and I get the trusty razor out for the boys. It's hard during the winter to give haircuts, because we normally go outside--obviously not an option when it's below freezing and snowy.

Apparently I'd been nagging about haircuts a little too strongly, because yesterday morning Cody tells me that he's just set up appointments for all of us at the local beauty school. I immediately started panicking; the appointments were immediately, and none of us were dressed, not to mention I don't trust this school with giving me a good haircut. But, Cody didn't understand why I would feel this way (A haircut's a haircut, and $5 is a lot nicer than the pricy salon), and so we all trucked down to the beauty school. I tried to remind myself that Cody was trying to make me feel better, and that this is how he shows love--by "surprising" me with something I need...any way, I figured if they did a good job, I would have just saved myself $25, and if they did a less than decent job, I could deal for a few weeks until it grew back.

I should have just sent the boys.

The girl at the beauty school had the mirror tipped so I couldn't see my own haircut. How the instructor didn't notice the hack job and uneven layers (not to mention the two inch gaps on the right side of my head), I'm not sure; but we weren't even in the car to go home when Cody asked me when I wanted to go to the salon for another haircut. I came home and assessed the damage, called my mom for the name of her hairdresser, then called the salon and set up the appointment, telling them that this was a bona-fide hair emergency.

After that I could finally laugh about the situation. Good things that came from this experience: 1) I get to try something totally new with my hair. 2) I got to spend a morning all by myself at the salon, laughing with my new favorite hair stylist. 3) Cody will never bug me again about spending $30 for a haircut.


Thank you, Jenni, for fixing the mess that was the worst haircut of my life!

11 comments:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Jenny and I will have a good laugh about this when I go see her on Wednesday.

Lynea said...

One of our favorite sayings around here is..."The difference between a good haircut and a bad one is about two weeks."
It this case, I would make it 2 months (tee hee)

Nate has this 'thing' about haircuts where he has to get it as short as possible to get his money's worth. He get's upset with me because I don't see it that way. MEN.

Sue said...

Wow, that was one scary haircut. It looked like you gave Lee the scissors. :-O

The end result is so cute! I love the fun layers in the back.

Way to make lemonade out of lemons

Angeli said...

Wow Lisa, your haircut is way cute. You will have to thank Cody for taking you out for a surprise haircut. That is hilarious. That is one $5.00 you won't forget spending. Jenny is really good.

Granny D Fifield said...

I'm so glad you blog! We wouldn't have missed the haircut adventure for anything.

Aubri said...

Oh Lisa! At least you have a smile on your face in the pictures! :-)

The second haircut is DANG cute by the way! In my professional opinion, it's pretty much an ideal cut for you.

If only I could convince Thomas to let me pay people to cut my hair. He got spoiled when I was in beauty school and the salon... haircuts were always free. Now that I'm taking a little time off, haircuts cost money. He still doesn't get it, "But don't you know any hairdressers you could like... trade with?" Cute boy...

Emily said...

Wow! That is an impressively horrid haircut! I am totally impressed actually. I think I could do better. But you're new one is SUPER cute. I just got a haircut that was too boring for my taste, now you've inspired me to try again, but not at a hair school ;-)

Karin said...

OK, I seriously had to check the calendar to see if you were pulling an early April Fools on us. That is absolutely incredulous! Even I could have given you a better haircut than that.

I'm glad you had a good attitude about it!

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

I have to add one more comment here. Bryce said that he told Lisa he thought he could describe the girl at the beauty school: pierced tongue, nose stud, probably a tattoo in some place you don't want to see, dyed pink hair. Lisa incredulously said "wow, that's exactly right!"

And just for posterity's sake, Jenni spells her name with an i, not a y.

Kami Sheffer's Blog said...

Ha ha hah!!!! That is soo cool that you can laugh about that! I would die! And it's cute! Woah Nellie!

Terrence Flendersen said...

Beautiful! love the photos! My sister did beauty school in mississauga, and it has helped her develop a career from beauty school.