Friday, June 5, 2009

Irreplaceable you

Warning: Lisa musings ahead. I know I've mentioned this situation to several of you.

A wonderful sister in my ward, Sally, has been my friend since I moved here. Two weeks after Annalisa was born, she gave birth to her fifth child, a baby named Paul. After, she struggled with post-partum depression, and then each of her children became sick, one after another, for six months. About a month ago, she suddenly became extremely ill with random seizures. The doctors think they were induced by stress, so her best remedy has been to stop everything. She's had babysitters, family members, and ward members take her children for all but a few hours each day. She's had meals brought in, her house cleaned, her errands run, everything. I've been fortunate enough to help her out on multiple occasions--I've taken their family a meal, and babysat twice. It really is a privelege; Sally is so sweet, so dear, so hard working, that to help them in their time of need is a blessing.

It's made me ponder, though, at how important each of us are. It has taken at least thirty women from our ward, not to mention family members and other friends, to replace just one mother. Wow! We still don't do as good of a job as she does. Often, I feel like what I do is menial, mindless, and maybe even unimportant. But this situation with Sally has helped me understand that nobody can replace me, I am the best mother for my children, and I am very, very special.

And the same can be said of all of you. The work we do, as mothers, women, and individuals, cannot be done by anyone else. We are irreplaceable!

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that encouraging story.

Aubri said...

I really love this...