Monday, June 29, 2009

Man, this is hard!

As many of you may recall, I've recently finished my novel that I have been working on for about eighteen months. It was so exciting to finish, and after a lifelong passion for writing (and I mean lifelong, just ask my mom), I can't explain the thrill I felt to finally have a manuscript, completed, that I was really proud of. I've always had a goal to get published, and this felt like my first real opportunity to do so.

I sent a bunch of you my manuscript to edit, and I really REALLY appreciate all the hard work you've done so far. Thank you so much for your time and patience, and I have taken all your suggestions and corrections into account. The novel is so much better already, thanks to you.

I took a few weeks away from the book to re-group my thoughts and distance my emotions, to prepare for the long and arduous process that is editing and publishing. Now I'm trying to get started on it again. I've spent a few hours already in the public library doing research, and many more hours online with more research. All sources say publishing is hard, so stick to it.

The hardest part of publishing so far has turned out to be the motherhood aspect. I don't have the time I need to really focus on it. Every time I sit down at the computer to compose a query, or to research out agencies, or to edit my book, I have to stand right up again because (most recently) Lee rubbed lotion all over the bathroom and his body, or Anna fell over and is screaming mad, or Anna wants to nurse, or Lee decides it's snack time and starts dumping all my spices together in a big pot.

All I can do for now is keep plugging away, even if it's fifteen disjointed minutes a day. At this rate, it might take me ten years to get it done, but it is a love of mine, and I'm nowhere near ready to call it quits. In the meantime, anybody know someone wanting to publish or represent an unpublished author's romance novel?

1 comment:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Keep at it Lisa, we're rooting for you! You've got a rare talent that needs to be discovered.