Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day-cation





Raychel called me at eight this morning and invited the kids and me to go to Bear Lake for a few hours. We seized the opportunity for a mini vacation, or day-cation, as we used to call them.

The water was, as always, beautifully clear, and cold. I had fun wading a little, and Lee was too transfixed by the sand and dirt to really enjoy the water. He found any and all abandoned beach toys and played with them until their owners chased him away with big sticks. (just kidding about the sticks...most people didn't even notice the little boy with the stolen toys)

video

After lunch and swimming, we headed back, stopping of course for a raspberry milkshake. I think it's a crime to go to Bear Lake and NOT get a raspberry shake. On the way home we got stuck behind a big paint truck that was re-painting the center yellow lines. In the 30 miles or so, at least 15 were stuck behind this truck, going about 10 miles an hour. When they stopped painting and we could finally go 40 mph, it felt so good! Then, when the lane opened up and I could pass the paint truck guy, he stuck his hand out the window in a big thumbs-up and I waved. It was hard to be patient, but I'm sure he was grateful.

Thanks for the day-cation, Raychel! We had a good time.

2 comments:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Looks like a blast! I'm glad somebody did something fun today.

Lydia said...

Sounds like great fun!

I like the family picture at the top of the page. You guys look good!