Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's not easy being Anna

Every now and then, maybe once or twice a week, Lee gets in this strange mood where he just can't be good. He moves from one naughty thing to another, leaving a path of destruction and messes. Usually, it's things he knows are wrong too. Like, he sneaks out of the house, then whacks Annalisa on the head, then throws his food on the floor, then kicks Annalisa in the belly, then throws Oda's sand out of her cage, etc. I take him to time-out, scold him profusely, try to redirect his energy, even (I admit ashamedly) spank him. It usually ends when I, totally exasperated, tuck him in bed and flop on the couch in tears.

Last night was one such night, and the finale of his bad-streak ended with Lee pulling Anna into my bedroom, shutting the door, and proceeding to rub an entire tub of Savex lip balm on her head. Good news: it's non-toxic. Bad news: it is nearly impossible to get out. We've washed Anna's hair four times with baby shampoo, twice with adult shampoo, and once with make-up remover. It's still in there. I was SO angry at Lee, I ended up speaking less than five words to him from there until bedtime.

Fortunately, Lee is usually a very well-mannered child. He always is eager to please. I just pray that he outgrows this eventually. I fear that by the time he outgrows his toddlerhood tantrums, he'll be into the thick of his teenagehood tantrums. And none of this is any indicator of how my other children will behave. Sigh. I'm grateful to be a mother I'm grateful to be a mother I'm grateful to be a mother...

4 comments:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Well, it could have been sharpie marker or paint, or . . . .

Raychel said...

Shay says, "Pokey hair."

Aubri said...

You could try cornmeal? I know that works to get Vaseline out... One time, in high school, I thought it would be cool to use Vaseline to make faux dreadlocks... it took a week to get out, and then I learned that cornmeal or cornstarch would have worked faster.

I'll e-mail you the steps. :-)

Angeli said...

It could have been desitin. Trisa did that to Crystal. All you could see was two little eyeballs blinking through the white.