Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Applesauce day

Thank you so much, again, mom, for helping me put up all that applesauce!

We started this morning at about 11:00 am, sorting, cleaning, cutting, cooking, cranking, sweetening, jarring, and processing the apples. Applesauce is a lot of work, but we had a good time chatting and working. The kids were relatively well behaved, though Annalisa got really grumpy around 5. After the jars were all full, and most of them processed, Sara made us manicotti for dinner. Then the sweetest treat of the day was a bowl of Aggie Vanilla ice cream with fresh cinnamon applesauce on top....so good. I left at 8, and mom only had 1 more batch of 7 quarts left to process.

Over all we got 49 quarts of applesauce done. That's incredible! We're both pretty bushed.

3 comments:

Raychel said...

Wow. That made my back hurt just thinking about all that work.

Angeli said...

Way to go!, I'm worn out after 7 quarts!

Nikki said...

That is so awesome! How lucky you are to have your family so close. I wish I had paid more attention to all the home lessons in canning I had while I was still living at home.

And how very fortunate that you have YOUR mom to teach you and guide you. She's awesome.