Monday, August 24, 2009

A brave, brave boy

When we took Lee to see the dentist six months ago, shortly after his molars came in, the dentist noticed a malformation on two of Lee's teeth. It was a kind of weird pokey spot on the side of his molars, and the dentist said it was merely misformed, and would probably need work later down the line. Sure enough, a few weeks ago, the dentist noticed that one had broken and the other wasn't looking good either. So today, I took Lee in to get his teeth fixed. I was petrified for him, honestly. I prayed all weekend that Lee wouldn't be scared, and that he wouldn't be in too much pain. I could hardly talk to Lee about what was coming up because I don't want him to fear the dentist, and yet I knew this wouldn't be a painless procedure.

The worst part was waiting for half an hour in the waiting room. They had nice toys and magazines, so Lee had a blast, but I was getting more and more nervous. Finally, they took us back and offered me to have Lee on Nitrous Oxide. I happily accepted. They put on some cartoons on the TV above his head, and gave him earphones to listen. Lee was fascinated and sat quietly. He opened his mouth for the dentist and didn't even flinch while they numbed his face up. He told me his hair felt weird. The dentist came back and showed Lee the tools they would use to put on the crowns his molars needed. Then Lee laid there quietly and still, opening his mouth when asked, never crying even in the slightest. I was so proud, and so relieved! Our dentist is fantastic, and sang silly songs to Lee the whole time. Between the nitrous, the cartoons, and the songs, I think Lee was feeling awesome.

I'm now praying in thanksgiving for a brave boy, and a great dentist who I have full confidence in now. That is, when I'm not wiping up the copious amounts of drool pouring from Lee's numb mouth...

4 comments:

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

how sad he had to have crowns! It sounds like you have an amazing dentist who caught it early enough to fix it with out huge drama & he sang to Lee. I wonder if he sings to adults.... Glad he is doing well. Good luck!

Kathy said...

Poor kiddo! How did you find your dentist? Ben's a long way from needing one, but it would be nice to know how to start looking.

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Wow, I'm jealous. All these tooth things I've been having, and no cartoons!

Angeli said...

That's quite a frozen smile there. You are lucky to get to a good dentist that sings and shows cartoons. I'll bet he was really nice.