Friday, August 21, 2009

Preschool ideas

Lee has been begging me to let him go to school ever since we went on a walk during recess time. Since he's three and all, I thought it would be a really good time to start doing a focused learning and discovery "lesson", and maybe get him enrolled in an early preschool type thing.

My goal now is to have what I'm going to call "Focus and Discovery" time, three times a week. I'm going to sit with my kids, especially Lee, for 15-30 minutes, and have a story, a picture, a song, and a short lesson. It will be really informal, but I think it will help Lee in the first steps toward literacy, and having a scheduled time to do it will help me remember. Far too often I forget to do our 20 minutes daily reading because of other distractions.

Which brings me to why I'm posting this on my blog. I want your help. Do you have any ideas for lessons? Does anyone want to join me? I'm even thinking about setting up a second blog that we can all post lesson ideas, reviews of children's stories, pictures of our kid's projects, and thoughts and feelings on teaching young children. If you are interested in brainstorming with me, or want to be a part of my new blog, put a comment here.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Yeah cool! Ben is a bit young for that kind of thing, but it's never to early to start collecting!

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

I think it's a great idea. I won't be doing it, but I can share in the ideas.

Shay said...

I would love to join you! Maybe we could even do an informal joy school type...thing where we have 3 or 4 mothers with kids about the same age (know anyone in Logan who could join us?) and we all meet together at designated times, and take turns doing the lessons, have snack time... all that goodness. My sister took her kids to joy school... I could ask her for ideas...?

Raychel said...

This is such a good idea! I've been wanting to show Shayden the alphabet and do something like 1 letter a week and put it all over the house. "This is the letter A. Apple starts with the letter A. Find all the letter A's on this page." Early Head Start has given me a ton of really cool ideas. She knows her colors and can draw a circle and a line. I'm going to try to teach her an x. I probably could only come once a week, but count me in.

Angeli said...

That would be so fun. 3 year olds are the best!

Nikki said...

This is a fantastic idea. And if I lived closer to you I would participate in person. However, I would love to participate via the blog. I have loads of ideas and am always welcome to more. I remember when we started my oldest with a curriculum very much like what you've described. I recall how much he LOVED it and also recall that a lot of the material I used came from the nursery and primary manuals.