Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why I Blog

I've been planning this post in my head for a while, so here goes.

In the past, more than one person has asked me how I find the time to blog when there's so many other worthwhile activities in the world. It makes me feel a little guilty, sometimes a lot guilty, and it made me re-evaluate why I blog. Here is my complete answer.

1) I blog to keep in touch with people. A blog is an excellent way to put pictures, video clips, and words about the growth of my children and the daily dealings of our family. I can put something up, and if people are interested, they can check it out, and I don't have to send emails or snail mails to forty different parties who may just chuck it.

2) I blog my journal and personal family history. Journaling is highly important to me, but as a mom, I find it difficult to poke writing things down into my daily life. My blog is a place where I can write down my thoughts along with pictures to prove it.

3) I blog for preservation of family photos. So many fire victims say the worst thing they lost--the thing they missed most of all--was their precious family photos. When I load pictures or movies onto my blog, it is protected by the internet. I take lots more movies and pictures than I load, but at least I know I have something.

4) I blog for fun. I really enjoy composing clever little posts or watching my kids for silly things they do to take pictures of.

5) I blog for laughs. Like right now, I can hear a screaming kid walking by my house and a woman's voice yelling, "no mas! No mas!" How would I remember these funny moments if I didn't blog about them?

6) I blog for comments. So keep 'em coming!

Now, you may have noticed the title of this blog is "For Kicks and Giggles." I try to keep everything lighthearted, though heaven knows we have our fair share of depression, heartache, and trial. I just choose to not blog about it, for your sakes. Most of the time. Of course, this is my blog, and therefore I can post what I want.

Thanks for visiting, and drop a line why YOU blog. Goodnight!

4 comments:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Remember this quote, that I have on my journal blog?

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences."
Gordon B. Hinckley

Nikki said...

Lisa-

What a great post! I think you really nailed it on the head. Those are the reasons I blog as well. I actually started blogging just as a way to keep up the little updates and pictures for my parents and Danny's parents to see.

I find that for right now, it is my journal. I put a lot of things on my blog that may be boring to others but that I want to keep for posterity's sake.

Sometimes I get a little obsessive and spend too much time with it. But I think after a blog is established, it doesn't necessarily take too much time to update it a few times a week or even daily.

Now, as far as other people's blogs go, that's where I can get lost for hours. I have to ration myself though-- or tell myself, "Not until naptime." But I really have learned a lot from other blogs and been able to keep up with family and friends. It's so fun like a Christmas newsletter on a regular basis.

Sorry about the novel.

P.S. I really like that quote by President Hinckley that your mom mentioned. Maybe I'll add it to my sidebar.

Jenifer said...

I love blogging because it is, as you say, a way to keep a record as well as keep people up to date and in touch. Plus I LOVE reading other people's blogs and finding out about their lives and families.

Angeli said...

Good thoughts on why to blog. I haven't checked in on you for some time, and I am so glad that you record what you do. It's like getting a letter from you and I love it. Keep it up, for you too. It is wonderful, and I hope they always have blogs, if letters are forever gone.