Monday, September 7, 2009

Results

If you're one of my wonderful blog followers, you may remember that around Memorial Day we started a Healthy Living Challenge. If you don't remember, you can follow this link and go see it. Today, the Challenge ended, though the healthy living will endure.

I'm excited to report my results! One of the biggest, and most difficult parts, of this challenge was writing down my weight in a semi-public format. I hate admitting that I am overweight, even though it's quite obvious. I really had to humble myself and realize that I need help, and I need a place to report to, if I'm going to change my ways. I need to tell people that I have issues with my weight and accept help wherever I can get it. So, doing this challenge was a big push in the right direction for me.

I learned this summer to eat 3 cups--the recommended intake for me--of vegetables a day. At first it was a lot, but I quickly learned how to substitute carrots or cucumbers for chips at lunch, put an extra piece of tomato on my sandwich, mix in edamame or other veggies in my breakfast scrambled eggs, and how to always make 2 vegetables with dinner instead of just 1 (like green beans AND salad). This made a huge difference.

I improved drastically upon my sweet habits. I have an insatiable sweet tooth that was giving me real troubles. I would use excuses like, "I'm breastfeeding" or "I've had a tough morning" to justify eating tons of ice cream or candy or cookies on a daily basis, sometimes twice daily. Well, I'm proud to admit, NO MORE! I haven't purchased ice cream in over 2 months, and candy even longer than that. I only make baked goods if I can put in some healthy substitute and then give away most of it, like for Sunday dinner or something. Now, a sweet treat is typically small, and I've got it down to 2 or fewer times per week.

For the first time in my life, I am exercising on a daily basis and it feels good. I could outwalk Cody in DC--I never would have dreamed that was possible. I had a lot of emotional scars I had to heal before I could like exercising, and this summer I have been able to overcome many of those.

Also, I'm flossing on a daily basis, something I've never been really good at. ;)

So, sum total, all said, at the end now, I lost 22 lbs this summer. That's over 10% of my body weight. I plan on keeping up my healthy habits, and I have every hope that those numbers will keep growing, as I keep shrinking. ;)

Thanks, Kathy, and everyone else who helped me with the Healthy Living Challenge. It has made a huge difference in my life.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm seriously like bouncing in my seat as I type this. I'm soooo happy and excited for you, Lisa!! True story - Doug and I proposed the healthy challenge entirely for us. We needed the help. To help even one other person seriously made my summer awesome! You rock sis!!

Melanie said...

That's awesome Lisa! Way to go!

Granny D Fifield said...

I am extremely proud of you Lisa! I can't wait to take you shopping for some new jeans - no more belt at least for one pair! Imagine, you've been carrying around more than two big sacks of potatoes and now you get to leave them behind - or shall we say, you've been packing the equivalent of Anna, plus carrying her?

Granny D Fifield said...

I'm not sure how my name got on your mother's note to you but I am very proud of you as well. I know how hard it is to get those pounds off and how good it feels when it happens. I haven't done quite as well as you but close. We will keep it coming off together, right? High five!!!

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Sorry about commenting with the wrong name! Granny D and I were working on a computer problem and I forgot to log back off with her account. Love you!

Angeli said...

Way to go Lisa. I am so proud that you could stick to something like that. You are amazing!