Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Holiday Prep: Side dish recipes part 3

Note: I hope you don't make ALL these recipes! I'm just trying to help give ideas and get ideas myself. I like having lots of options.

Cranberry-Pomegranate Salad
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 pomegranate (seeds only)
3 carrots
3-5 ribs celery
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 TBSP honey
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

1) Chop cranberries into very small pieces. Remove seeds from pomegranate (see note.) Peel and shred carrot with box grater. Slice celery into half-moons.
2) Toast walnuts in a pan over medium heat for 5-10 minutes (if desired) and then chop.
3) Mix together mayonnaise, honey, lemon juice, and salt.
4) Toss together all ingredients, pouring on the mayonnaise mixture last and stirring well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then serve. OR, keep the mayonnaise dressing on the side, refrigerate overnight, and pour dressing over and toss right before service if making in advance.

Story time: the day I met Cody's family for the first time was Thanksgiving. I walked in the house, asked if I could help in the kitchen, and was given a pomegranate to seed. I cut into it and splattered red juice all over my carefully coordinated outfit. I was so embarrased and wore an old T-shirt the rest of the day while my future mother-in-law cleaned my shirt. :) Since then, I have learned a better way of seeding a pomegranate.

Notes on how to seed a pomegranate: Fill a large bowl with water. Carefully cut the pomegranate in half. (or even quarters) Submerse the pomegranate halves in water and work the red seeds out with your fingers. The seeds will fall to the bottom of the bowl and the white pith will float. Discard the peel and the pith. Keep just the seeds. Drain from water. Done!

This next recipe I'm not sure if I have permission to post or not, but it is really THE best, most fool-proof roll recipe I have ever used. I've failed multiple times with rolls, but never with this recipe. Plus, it rises overnight in the refrigerator. I've even let it go two nights with no ill effect. So nice when you already have way too much to do on Thanksgiving! I love things that can be done in advance. They work beautifully in any shape (my favorite is small crescents brushed with butter, Cody's are butterhorn style), and I've also made them into cinnamon or orange rolls.

Nan's "yummy-nummy" Refrigerator Rolls

1 1/2 c water

1 TBLS yeast

1 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup shortening

2 eggs

1 potato, mashed

6-7 cup flour (can use 2 cups whole wheat and about 4-5 cups white)

Dissolve yeast in water. Add next 5 ingredients and 3 cups of the flour and mix. Slowly add the rest of the flour, kneading as you go, until the dough sticks together and is smooth and elastic. Knead for 5-10 minutes. Put in greased container and refrigerate over night. Roll out into desired shape.

Let rise 1-3 hours. (1 hour in a hot kitchen, or 3-5 hours in a cooler place...don't skimp on rise time.) Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. 1 batch makes about 30 rolls.


Roasted Root Vegetables

1 onion

3 carrots

3 parsnips

1 turnip

1 beet (if the red doesn't bother you)

4 TBSP olive oil

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

2 TBSP honey (optional)


Peel all vegetables and cut into 1" cubes. Mix with all other ingredients in a crock-pot sprayed with cooking spray. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-6 hours, depending on crock-pot. Vegetables are done when they are fork tender.


*this recipe is smaller, about the portion size for 4-6 adults. But on Thanksgiving, most people eat fewer vegetables. :) This recipe is great for every day, though. Other veggies we love adding: sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, butternut squash, or jicama.



Phew! I think that's it for me on Side Dishes. If you have any ideas for recipes, please let me know! You can put it in a comment or on your own blog. If you desire, I'll link it up here so that you can be famous. :)

Also, if you try any of these recipes, I'd love to hear your thoughts and your family's reactions. Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Levi and Kami's Blog said...

Nice...and funny about that pomegranate... :) I forgot about that.