Friday, October 8, 2010

Holiday Prep: Decorations

I must admit. I have no good tips for holiday decorations. But I believe in them...I believe it helps get in the mood and extend the celebration time from a solitary day to a whole month...

My mom has a box of decorations in her basement for each holiday--most more than one box. She's collected them her whole life, and she only keeps things that are really special or cute. Like the skull candle holder from Mexico that we named "Ed" that freaks everybody out, or the nativity set with the little sheep we always put on the roof of the stable, all the way to the hundreds of special tree ornaments ranging from the olive wood nativity from Jerusalem, to the shrunken apple my brother carved in first grade that gets uglier every year. :) Decorations have these special memories attached, and the only way to do that is to collect them slowly and carefully, and store them carefully too.

Of course, decorations can also be a part of tradition. My husband's family always goes up to the family ranch to pick Christmas trees. Before I went myself, I was slightly disappointed with the wild trees... kind of gangly and lopsided... but once I was actually riding up in the back of dad's truck and marching through the snowy forest looking for the perfect tree, and smelling the air of the ranch and all the love associated with it... That tree became the most beautiful thing: a piece of family right in my living room all December long.

So, I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of cool and easy holiday crafts that will transform your house. If you have any ideas, I would really really love some--especially those kid-friendly ones. Or if you have special decorations--from gingerbread houses to homemade ornaments, let us all know. Time to share!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Well Decorations is one of the last things on my list to keep...simply because in my married life we have moved 14 times and have more moves on the way. So decorations become optional to keep if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I will always keep the ornament that Jared and I picked out on our honeymoon and the nativity set that Autumn loves, etc. I keep them small and "moveable"

I'm so sad Meyersvalley burned. I will miss my tree this year.

Angeli said...

My favorite decoration is about 30 years old now. It is a tree ornament -- a walnut shell the kids made in primary with baby Jesus laying in it and a piece of wrapping ribbon glued to each side to hang it on the tree.