Tuesday, October 5, 2010

3 vanloads in one day

Today we moved in three... count them, THREE... van loads full of boxes and stuff! We also got another giant box full of garbage out (always fulfilling) and another 2 boxes over to donate. AAAAHH. This move is becoming increasingly real. Which is definitely a good thing. I'm less overwhelmed and feeling more confident about it. (And don't worry... there was a little bit of water in the bottom of the smoker, which dripped. Not oil or anything weird like that.)

My cousin Alaina said that Annalisa looked like a painting during her nap on Grandma F's couch last Sunday. Anna was so funny--she refused her nap, then fell asleep right on Grandma's hardwood kitchen floor. We moved her to the couch where she sprawled out and had a good solid sleep.

Now, I want to ask some advice from those of you who move more often than I do... what can I do to keep the stress down and still be a family amid all this move? Cody and I just want to pack boxes and get this all done with. But today as we were loading up our third van load, the kids were playing and running around and talking about tomatoes and pumpkins, and I realized just how precious their childhood is. I want them to have special childhood moments during this move, but how do I balance everything? Do I just push the move as hard as I can, and attempt to make up for lost time later, or do I try to slow it down as much as safely possible so we can still savor each moment? So far we've been trying to maintain the basic schedule as much as possible, and involve the kids with everything move so they can take ownership in it. But is this the right thing to do? Suggestions anyone?

5 comments:

Sara said...

I don't have much advice on the child-raising part of a move, but I think as long as they are involved it will be part of their childhood! Also-make sure you leave good spaces for furniture in that there unit! ;)

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

I agree with Sara. They can be kids and have fun with this, just like any other family project. You guys are good at making things fun. Let them be a part of it. And, let them come and play with Grandma now and then.

Kathy said...

Yeah, I don't think they're missing anything by "having" to help with moving. It will be a vague memory for Lee and Anna won't remember it at all. One of my very favorite and earliest memories was sharing a root beer from a can with Dad as we took a break from moving in to our place in Oregon. I felt so important and grown-up. I say let them help as much as is not causing a significant slow down (kids are such 'helpers') and enjoy the adventure!

Raychel said...

I think you're doing wonderful at the whole how-to-move-without-going-crazy aspect of everything. You've got things going, and your kids seem to be enjoying every part of life. Keep it up Lisa!

Melanie said...

I think we made like 25 carload trips from our apartment to our home before we rented a uhaul for all the furniture. We'd take 3-4 boxes almost every time we went to the house to work on it. It's amazing how much stuff we collect over time.

Good work thus far! You're movin' along quickly!