Monday, November 15, 2010

Holiday Prep: Countdown--one week remaining!

I'm going to be posting special Countdown-to-Thanksgiving posts between now and the holiday. They will come up a few days early so that you have time to look over them and get ready. Once again, this is just my suggestions. Also, I am writing these up in September. When they post on my blog, I'll go, "Oh yeah! That's what I need to be doing today!" :) Good luck!

T-day minus one week:
-Get the Turkey out of the freezer and into the fridge. It will need several days to thaw, and the safest way to do it is in the fridge. Please don't thaw your turkey on the counter. Make sure it is wrapped in several plastic bags or is in a huge bowl or something to contain any possible turkey juices. Those juices can possibly contain salmonella, so treat like a toxic substance!
-Time to do the final shopping trip/trips. If you wait until the day before Thanksgiving, you run the risk of the store being sold-out of important items. For a list of suggested items, see "Shopping list #2." Make sure you take a good list so that you can hopefully get it done in a single trip--thus saving you a couple hours of running back to the store.
-If desired, you can mix up your pie crust now. Don't roll it out yet, just keep in a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge or freezer. For Pie-making instructions, see my award-winning Pie tutorial. :)
-Now is also a great chance to take care of things at home. Make sure your laundry is done, the bathrooms are clean, your little get-ready projects are done. As you get closer to the holiday, it will be really nice to have most everything done. If you wait until the day before, again, how will you ever find time to run laundry AND put up decorations AND cook, AND spend time with family, AND take a shower? I know that things won't stay perfectly clean. I have kids... trust me, I know. But just making sure the basics are ready really helps. If you have a guest room you are planning on using, now is a good time to change the sheets and make the bed. OR... if you are traveling a far distance, pack a few things every day so that you don't have a mad rush. Remember, we're trying to avoid mad rushes this year! (at least, I am!)
-Set up your DVR to record the football game your hubby wants to watch!
-See my 1-month countdown to see if there's anything else you want to do.

Anything I forgot? I hope you're all getting really excited...I sure am!

No comments: