Monday, February 21, 2011

Surprising moment

After writing the following post, I realize it is very long and rather silly. Read at your own caution. :D

Last night I actually had contractions. That's right, you heard me, contractions. I am in shock still. I have never, ever had a contraction without medication. I suppose when I was pregnant with Annalisa I had a few tightenings, but it wasn't a true contraction. Last night it was real contractions, starting in my back and radiating into my abdomen, getting so tight that I had to quicken my breath to work through it and I was uncomfortable. I would try moving and they didn't go away. They were about every five minutes for an hour and a half, between 1:30 and 3:00 am.

I woke up and had to go to the bathroom (very very common). When I got back in bed I had the first one, which was pretty mild and mostly just hurt my lower back. I laughed to myself and got a little giddy thinking "What if I'm having contractions? Wouldn't that be silly?" But then I had another one. After laughing through about three, and they were getting stronger, I started thinking, "Wait, these really are contractions. The baby is lying posterior; I can tell because I can feel her hands moving and all these contractions are starting in my back." And once I had come to the conclusion that I was indeed having real contractions, I started looking at the clock and realized they were about five minutes apart, lasting about a minute a piece. Then I started to get nervous. There is so much I haven't got done yet; primarily, cleaning the baby's carseat. It was stored in our old home's basement, which means that it is probably mildewy. And it's thick foam padding, so it will take a long time to dry. I also got worried about some stuff for cub scouts, and a few phone calls we need to make. So, I got out of bed again, found a pen and paper, went into the bathroom and turned on the light (as to not wake Cody), and wrote a list.

Now that I read the list, I have to smile in spite of myself. It goes: -Call _____ for the dates and prices of the cub scout activity in June. Call boys and get money and dates for activity as well. -Wash and install carseat. -Take Anna potty every 2 hours or so. -Lee preschool at 8:30 am and 12:30 pm.

These were the notes that I found extremely pressing and important at two am while I was having contractions. Notice anything? My priorities: #1) make sure I follow through on the things I promised I would do. #2) Make sure my baby is safe. #3) Make sure Annalisa is safe. #4) Make sure Lee is safe. These notes weren't necessarily for me to remember, but if I had to leave in the middle of the night, what I would want to make sure SOMEBODY knew. I also made a mental decision of how things would go if I needed to go in the hospital. After I wrote my little list, I felt better, and realized that while I had been up, the contractions had stopped. But I got really really cold, so I got back in bed and snuggled up next to snoring Cody.

That's when I had the three hardest, strongest contractions. My abdomen was like a rock and I had to breathe really hard. I thought to myself, "If I have one more contraction, I'm waking Cody up. Not to go to the hospital, but so I can tell him I'm turning on the computer and blogging." Really. That's what I thought. Don't you all feel loved? :)

I had one more contraction, sat up to breathe through it, and then Cody woke up and asked me if I was having a coughing fit (also been common recently). I explained what was going on, and told him that I just wanted to watch some TV or turn on the computer for a while. He rubbed my back while I watched the news and a few minutes of infomercials. The contractions stopped almost immediately, but my back was achy for a while. After about forty minutes more and one final potty trip, I was tired again and went back to sleep contraction-free.

I'll bet now that you're laughing at me; as you have every right to be. Not a mean laugh, but more like a "silly Lisa" laugh. I just can't believe I had actual contractions! Today my back is still a little sore, but as soon as I'm done with this blog post I'm going to clean the carseat. I'm also going to pack a mini-hospital bag. I doubt I will go into labor for a while. I still doubt I will go into labor on my own. But I freaked myself out enough last night to take a more serious look at the end of this pregnancy. It is coming, sooner than I think.

And now, just for your enjoyment, here's a picture that my Granddad H. took yesterday at the February birthday party. Grandma H, my cousin Mark (head cut off), and myself share a birth week, and we all live in the same town. So Mark's wife Emily made this amazing birthday cake and we all blew out candles. However, my absolute favorite part of this picture is Annalisa. I mean, just look at her. Just look. *smile*

5 comments:

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

Love Anna!

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

OK, so the only part that made me laugh was the very last part with the picture of Anna. And, really, contractions are NORMAL!! It's just that you haven't ever experienced normal. I predict that you'll be a bit more dilated when you see the doctor next, or at least more effaced. Now let's get little K to turn around and not be posterior. It will make the contractions much easier for mommy. I'm ready to come in the middle of the night. Just give me a call.

Sara said...

LOVE that Anna face! So cute! :)

Nikki said...

There is something so enticing about a post with a disclaimer. hehehe

I love your thought process. I'm all goose-bumpily now in anticipation of your delivery.

Anna's face is hilarious.

And you are a super-cute pregnant woman.

Melanie said...

Why doubt? I think you should have total hope that you will go into labor on your own! You can do it! You have already started some of it! I never actually had contractions in my own home, but I had a lot of back pain the last couple months. My suggestion for the back pain: a hot water bottle or heating pad. Awww...that really helped.

And I don't think the post was silly at all. This stuff is exciting!