Friday, March 11, 2011

A few more stats and details, from Lisa

Hey! I'm alive!

Katie Verda S. was born today at 6:45 pm. Somehow, I'm still not sure how, it was an anesthesia-free birth.

When Cody put up that I was at a six, I was asking for pain medication. I thought it would be another three hours. She was born about an hour later, and we didn't have time to get anything in the room, let alone hooked up. The last forty minutes went fast. They were checking me between contractions and I went from a six to a seven and a half, to a nine, and then to birth. Dr. Clark came in one contraction before I started to push. All the nursing staff was amazing. I was hyperventilating so bad that my whole body seized up--starting with my face, then my hands, and finally my arms and legs. Like, seized so bad that my fists were clenched so tight Cody couldn't uncurl my fingers. I was shaking and my whole body hurt. The only part that would relax between contractions was my abdomen... the part that I thought should be hurting! Weird.

Anyway. Katie was born and looks beautiful! She is 6 lbs, 10 oz; 19.5 inches long. She has a little bit of beautiful fuzzy hair and while she looks like herself, she looks like one of our kids. She's already latched on well and nursed a bit. She loves to be held and cuddled. Unwrap her, and she'll scream. Keep her bundled up, and she'll doze and look around at the world very quietly and sweetly. Her stats have all been very good, but they'll probably do a blood sugar test because she is just on the small size. Cody loves to hold her.

I kind of think I'm crazy for not getting medication when I had the chance. But I've already gone to the bathroom, stood up to brush my teeth, rode in a wheelchair (not a gurney)... all things I couldn't do with an epidural! So, that is good... right?

Katie is amazing. She is so worth it. Cody and I are exhausted, but thrilled. We have a long night of blood pressure exams ahead of us, so we are going to try to get some sleep. Thanks everyone, for your prayers, support, and love. We'll get pictures up very soon!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Way to go, Lisa! Man, I know what you mean about body seizing up--after Winston was born, I kind of went into a shock with my whole body shaking. But I loved that I was able to get up and walk around and even walk to my recovery room.

Congrats on making a shorter labor, and on going all natural! I hope the nurses don't bug you too much with blood pressure checks. I was just thinking about how my first two nights were miserable because of those...

Congrats, again!

Julie said...

You're a trooper Lisa! I'm impressed that you made it without an epidural with an induction! It's amazing how as soon as you think you can't handle it anymore, the hardest part is there and over. I do love being able to get up and move afterwards and just feeling like myself again-minus the exhaustion. Katie is beautiful and many congrats from our fam!

*kare* said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! We can't wait to meet her! Way to go with not getting the epidural! It is the worst pain ever but for sure worth it when all is done!

Traci said...

Congrats! How exciting for you guys, she is a cutie! You are the 3rd person I know who had a baby yesterday in Logan.... maybe I should just get up there and visit all of you! Congrats again!