Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eating fat-free...

...is harder than it sounds. With this gallstones diagnosis, the doctor recommended a low-to-no-fat diet to help moderate the pain of a gallbladder attack. And in case you're wondering, I've now done gallbladder attacks, a ruptured appendix, and natural childbirth. I'd rather go through childbirth again than the other two.

Anyway. The diet... oh the diet... You have no idea how much I wanted those Doritos and Brownie Bites and onion dip sitting on the counter today. But I knew the pain would be awful if I indulged. So instead of (excessively) dwelling on what I can't eat, I'm trying to think about what I can eat, and how excited I am to get rid of this rotten pain.

Since yesterday's diagnosis, this has been my diet:
Lunch--Lentil soup and sourdough bread without butter
Dinner--chicken and veggie stir fry on white rice
Snack--plain popcorn.
Breakfast--oatmeal, scrambled egg whites on dry toast
late Lunch/dinner--pulled pork (the highest fat thing I've had all day), vegetables, and watermelon
Snack--seasoned oven fries with ketchup and low fat mayonnaise.

So you see, I'm doing pretty well. Missing the fat, yes, but it hasn't hurt quite as bad. I still get pain when I eat, but it isn't crippling now. Avoiding the pain is worth it. And that's life for now!

No comments: