Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Whirlwind that is Life



I'm getting to the point where I've stopped trying to plan ahead. I just take life a moment at a time and hope to make it through each day without a major mental breakdown.

That probably sounds more dramatic than it is. I just feel like I'm on a roller coaster that is accelerating out of control. First I was pregnant, trying to settle into our new home and take care of my two kids, while also taking care of myself. Katie came faster than I realized. Then there was the whole gallbladder debacle, and yet I've hardly had time to recover because of breaking refrigerators and potty training two year olds and preschool and a nursing baby. Cody is still working more than 40 hour weeks. I feel like I simply am out of hours in the day, and yet there are more things I need to devote time to.

This is a pretty rotten beginning to a post that was originally intended to be happy! I suppose I'll save my "big news" for when I know more, and when it can stand on its own.

...

...

oh man, I can't wait. It's exciting and terrifying all in one. Cody and I applied for a home loan today. We have to wait several weeks before we find out if we are eligible for this program we want to get in. So this is not an announcement of purchase--just one of application. There is a program where we live in which we will physically build our own house. While it requires 35+ hours a week (time I don't feel like we have, but would have to find somewhere...), it would SUBSTANTIALLY lower the cost of the house (about 20% or more), and put us in a position to buy a home that we could otherwise not afford. We feel really good about this program. Well, "good" in the confirmed-by-the-Holy-Spirit sense. I'm still moderately terrified. I understand that with Cody putting in more than full time into his two jobs, the majority of the work on the house would fall to me. There are going to be a lot of sacrifices required, from every member of our little family. So for now, I'm just praying that the right things happen, according to the Lord's will.

And just to prove to you that I really DID intend this to be a happy, exciting post, here is a sweet picture from Easter that I didn't put up earlier:

3 comments:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

I love those pictures where a little child is holding the baby and there is an arm in there just making sure she's all right. Kind of like that arm that we don't see, that is helping us through these huge obstacles and events in our lives.

Lisa said...

wow Mom, that was a poetic comment. I really needed to hear that. I just realized I feel just like my little Annalisa in this picture, holding my kids and loving them... but they're just too big for me. How grateful I am for all those arms reaching in and helping me hold them up! Thanks for pointing that out to me today.

Melanie said...

I know about that program. When I was finishing college and working at the Family Life Center, we did the home-buyer counseling session with people applying for the program. One of my colleagues also completed it with her spouse. It's a great program!

Sam and I didn't do the same program, but did something very similar when we bought our home. We couldn't afford anything but those that needed a TON of work. We're still working on things, but I want to do it again with our next home (several years down the road), because we made it ours and we love it.

Good luck with everything--I'm sure it will all work out in your favor. I look forward to updates. :)