Saturday, May 28, 2011

A memory

(Annalisa enjoying a ball of snickerdoodle dough)

Today I finally rolled around to doing something I've been craving ever since Nikki posted this--I made Snickerdoodles! I called Lee and Anna to me and asked them if they wanted to make Snickerdoodles with me. Anna got all excited and started getting the pasta out of the cupboard, "Let's make Snicker-noodles!" I guided them through the dough, having them help me count the scoops of the cream of tartar and baking soda. Then it was time to roll in cinnamon sugar ("Sprinkles" to Anna) and squish with a cup. The kids were a good help then... well, mostly. And I suddenly had a memory come to me of rolling gingersnaps in sugar with my mom as kids. She would even be so smart as to give us each our own little bowl of sugar, and drop one cookie in our bowls at a time. I'm not sure how many gingersnaps actually got baked; probably less than 50% of the dough. I remember feeling somewhat sick to my stomach after gorging myself on raw gingersnap dough. I remember laughing with my siblings and my mom as we made cookies together. And I also remember feeling so grown-up and important when mom would call us to help her. Only now am I realizing it probably would have been faster, cleaner, and easier for mom to just do it herself. But she took the time to get us involved, and it was those kinds of moments that taught us all to love cooking, and better yet--love being together.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I love it. Those were fun times. Doug and I were making cookies last night (although I used a Betty Crocker cookie mix and Doug used pre-made Tollhouse cookie dough, cheaters) and Doug said he had to make sure Ben knows there are other cookies out there besides Oreo...things are a bit different in the GF household.

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

And, you wouldn't be the cook you are today if I hadn't involved you. I loved having you help. It made the cooking so much more fun. The only regret I still have is cooking that pineapple and sugar in the microwave and then having it splash onto Sara's face.

Raychel said...

I just had a flashback like that today too. Isn't it crazy how well we remember our childhood sometimes? My memory today was eating lunch with my mom. As I made fish sticks today for lunch I remembered we dipped our fish sticks in lemon juice together. I also remember sitting at the counter as my mom cleaned the kitchen and made us lunch. The world was so big then!

Nikki said...

Oh what a great post! I have so many nights after the children have gone to bed where I think, Why didn't I do more with the toddlers and preschooler today? I used to do SO MUCH with the oldest three. I forget how something like this can really make their day. And like your mom said, it's what helps them be good cooks in the future like you!

Granny D Fifield said...

Great post Lisa. It brought back many happy memories for me as well. My memories go back through experiences with my six children and through 72 years to memories with my mother. You can tell these sorts of memories last a long time.