Monday, May 9, 2011

An unexpected Mother's Day Surprise

I had a wonderful Mother's Day. I took out a small insurance policy (read: I bought myself some steaks, new pants, a steam mop, and made myself a cheesecake) to make sure I had a wonderful Mother's Day. The best gifts I got were a full night's sleep from Katie, big hugs and "I love yous" and sweet letters from my children and husband, and a tasty big breakfast.

But I did get one unexpected little surprise, which Lee was so kind to point out in his hand-drawn Mother's Day Card:Can't figure it out? that's okay, I had to ask him too. "It's the ant in our house mommy!" Yes, I spent the half hour before church sweeping and steam mopping to get rid of as many ants as possible. They'd just been discovered before we left. So we were already a few minutes late when I picked up Katie and found her explosion diaper through the back of her dress. Which is why we were all about ten minutes late to church. Oh well, life goes on.

The steam mopping helped, I think, but it didn't destroy the ants yesterday. So this morning, after a fresh trail of ants was found traipsing across the living room, I picked up some ant traps and some of the new Raid Barrier Max stuff. I do feel mega cool, however, in that I had a $3 off coupon for the Raid Barrier. I came straight home and sprayed and set the traps. Cody thinks I'm crazy in my pest control habits, and made me promise to not go overboard. But hey! The experts recommended doing it this way! They also recommended outdoor lawn traps AND specialized ant killer for hitting the little buggers individually, but I just stuck with the first two.

I hope that's the end of that little surprise. I'm really not scared of ants, but I'd prefer they stay outside my home.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I hate ants inside my house too. I may have to try those traps if we find we have a problem with them again this spring.