Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Keep on truckin'


I feel like my attention has been split between so many different things lately that I hardly feel like I've been present at all. I apologize for neglecting this blog a bit. Mostly I apologize to myself, because I really do see this blog as an important journal and family history. Here's what's been up.

1) Preparing to build a house. Cody and I try not to let our every waking thought dwell on the house and what will soon be, but it's hard to avoid. I think about the air conditioning, the color of the cabinets, the bushes in the front yard, the school Lee will attend, the neighborhood... every single aspect of our new home. We are so excited. It's kind of like being engaged--planning a life you're not yet living, and we are eager to get it going. On Thursday we went to an open house for some houses that were just completed. It was lots of fun to see the different decisions people had made and meet a few neighbors.

2) The Minot floods. You may or may not know that I grew up in Minot, North Dakota. It will always hold a very special place in my heart. Right now, Minot has been inundated by massive flooding. Around 4000 houses have been filled with water. Everyone in the vicinity has been affected though, with all the flood relief necessary. I have been worried sick and trying to think of anything and everything I can possibly do. It's been hard to focus on what's going on right here where I live now when I long so badly to be in Minot helping.

3) It is getting downright HOT! Again, if you know me, you'll know I am not a hot weather fan. But the little window AC unit we have in this house seems to be doing an okay job, and will hopefully be sufficient for this summer.

4) Annalisa cut her hair. Less than a week after I snipped her some very cute bangs, she found the scissors and cut them right off. GRR. She got in big trouble. I had hoped we wouldn't have to go through the self-haircut, but now I at least hope she learned her lesson and won't repeat it. (this picture shows off both her amazing hair cutting skills and her awesome post-spaghetti face)

5) We finally figured out our sprinkler system today. It took some help from Paul to find the on valve, but once we found it, the system started right up and is working well. And about time too, since the lawn is starting to die. I can't believe we've nearly made it to July without watering... It has been a very wet Spring.

6) Lee is about to turn 5! I can't believe it either.

7) ...and everything else that I forgot. I will try to be better at posting now.

1 comment:

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Glad to hear that you figured out how to turn the sprinklers on. And, what are we doing to celebrate Lee's birthday?