Cody was driving home from an appointment about an hour ago when he noticed some smoke coming from the side yard of a house. He thought they must be grilling, but realized it was too much smoke for that. When he got just a bit closer he realized the side of the house and the fence were on fire. Nobody was outside, so he immediately stopped and grabbed the sprinkler from the front yard and started dousing the flames, pausing only to throw open a door (no knocking politely this time) and yell at the people inside to get out. He kept working on the flames while the residents called 911. Fortunately, he was able to help them get most of the fire out quickly, but five more minutes and the whole house could have been lost. Who knows--someone might have even been injured, especially considering the fire started from the outside and was getting into the attic when he arrived. It would have been a massive fire before anyone even smelled smoke or the fire alarms went off. The residents of the house said they suspect the fire was started by a cigarette butt.
Cody came home just as I was putting dinner on the table, a little disheveled and smelling like smoke; but I think he is a real hero. I love him so much! He said the moral of the story is not to smoke, but I think the true moral of the story is to be aware and willing to help, just like my husband the Hero.