Saturday, October 22, 2011

Halloween Pumpkin Hairbows Tutorial


After seeing a relatively large amount of traffic to my blog searching "Halloween Hairbows," I thought, "what the hey! I'll give the people what they want!"

How to make a Pumpkin Hairbow:

Materials you'll need:
-Orange, brown, and green ribbon. I like 100% polyester, grosgrain ribbon. I always buy 100% polyester because it is the most versatile, and I will probably use this same ribbon for other projects. You can curl 100% polyester; you can't curl any other type of ribbon. I also like 3/8" thickness for this project.
-Alligator clips or *barettes.
-Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks.
-scissors, of course.


1) Cut the orange ribbon into five strips: one long one (I like about 2 1/2 inches), two medium (about 2 1/4 inches), and two short ones (about 2 inches).
2) Wrap each orange strip into a circle and glue shut, so it is just a plain loop.

3) Make a cross-over loop with the brown ribbon and pull it quite tight. Glue to keep shut. It should be quite small: this is your stem.

4) cut a green piece with diagonal ends, fold in half, and glue to stay put. This is your leaves.

5) Now, attach all your orange loops together. On one edge of the inside of the largest orange loop, put a line of hot glue. Make sure your glue goes over the seam of your loop, since that will be the back of the bow. Line up one of your medium loops and press the outer edge in, so that they kind of telescope together, seams together. Like this.
6) Repeat the same process for all the loops. Make sure your middle loop is the big one by putting the medium loops on either side of the large loop, and then the smallest loops on the outer ends. In the end, it will look like this.
7) On the back of the orange pumpkin, put a bead of glue and attach the brown stem, poking up on the side you want the top. Then adhere the green leaves in the same manner. I kind of did it backwards when I was making this tutorial... obviously it doesn't make a huge difference, but I would have liked the leaves on the back more.

8) Line your alligator clip with ribbon. I chose brown, but you could use any color that matches your bow. I like to do this by first clipping the alligator clip to the end of the ribbon, and then putting hot glue on top. Since my clips have a hollow center, the glue pushes down to the bottom and keeps it together, but prevents me from making a massive mess or burning myself while I'm gluing.
9) Trim off any excess ribbon and try to clean up any hot glue webs or dribbles. If desired, paint any raw edges of ribbon with a dab of clear nail polish to prevent fraying. (Some people like to use a candle or a heat gun for this... I'm afraid of hot stuff, so I like the nail polish method.)
10) Finally, glue the back of the orange pumpkin--if you've done it right, it will be a row of seams--to the clip and enjoy.

One more look at the final product:

*Note: if you're using barrettes, you will do it the same way. Just line your barrette with ribbon first instead of a alligator clip. I have two girls, a 3 year old and a 7 month old. My baby gets alligator clips because I can easily slip them on to head bands. My 3 year old gets barrettes because they stay in her hair very nicely, especially over piggy tails.

No comments: