Saturday, November 5, 2011

Meet Napoleon.

"I caught you a delicious bass."

I probably should have seen this coming, but I thought I had put my foot down hard enough to avoid it. You see, we have a friend who likes fish tanks. He decided Cody should have one, so he brought us one one day.

I'm not talking about a little bitty fish bowl. I'm talking about a 50 gallon behemoth. "Now you can have your own fish tank!"

50 gallons? For a family who will be moving in a few months? NO, I said, unequivocally NO. NO fish until after we move. The end. Period. Do I make myself clear?

Cody called me one day and asked me to go take measurements so he could build a reinforcement for the tank in the basement. I asked him why he needed to reinforce the tank if it was going to remain empty until after we move. He avoided the question. I went downstairs with a measuring tape and saw two inches of water and some rocks in the bottom of the tank: cleansing solution.

NO! NO FISH until AFTER we move! THE END! I do NOT want to move a full 50 gallon tank in the dead of winter! PERIOD! Do I make myself clear?

That night, Cody came home and built the reinforcements himself.

NO NO NO NO!!!! WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT FISH BEFORE WE MOVE? NO!

The next day, after church, our friend calls us up and says, "Hey! I've got a surprise for you! Can I stop by?" He comes in with a...

large mouth bass.

Then he tells us we'll need to go to the pet store in the morning and buy a filter for a 50 gallon tank so that the fish won't die.

For the record: Fish are not good gifts to give friends.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I know I said this on FB but I would totally fatten that sucker up and EAT him before the move just don't let your kids get attached

Kristin said...

Eat him! You guys can provide your own fish for a fish fry! It's a good opportunity to teach your kids how to skin a fish? You're a nice lady, I would have just killed it or refused to accept it.