Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Moving again

Oh how I hate moving!

We tried so hard to finish our new house before we had to leave the one we're living in, but it just didn't happen. So, over the next week or so (either this weekend or the next) we'll be moving in with my parents once again, and living there temporarily until the new house is done.

Why, you may ask? Our landlords have been so kind to us just letting us live here for the last year, but it's time to move on now. They need the space for their own growing family and their brother (who moved into the basement last weekend), and Cody and I feel like we're in the way. Leaving has been a tough decision--especially when you factor in Lee's Kindergarten and Cody's work schedules. But we really think it will be best for us to live with my parents for the next few months. Which leads me to another bummer.

Our new house won't be done until mid April, no matter what. If we went out there and built 60 hours every week, it wouldn't make a difference. Why? Because only 2 driveways and back porches have been placed (ours and House 1). They can't touch the frozen ground until Spring. So even though we cruised through shingles 3 weeks faster than predicted, and are already ahead on stone, it won't get us into the houses any sooner. We're all quite heartbroken, but are trying to make peace with that fact and finish up our part. If we have any down time, I hope it is at the end of the build so that we can all have a few days to pack and clean our houses before moving. I always said this whole affair was an emotional roller coaster; this is yet one more dive in the journey.

One last random fact: once Cody and I move in with my folks, there will be only 2 families in our build group of 9 that don't live with parents. Silly, huh. We've all had strange ends to living in rental homes that have put us in strange situations, and since we're building our own homes, we all have thought the same thing: why rent an apartment for a few months? Mostly, I'm just grateful for my wonderful parents who are willing to put us up when it feels like life is crumbling around us, and I'm grateful that this time around we can easily see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. I'm grateful that we can move out of this house with smiles on our faces and hugs and love, instead of like last year which was so horrible. It may be a tricky couple of months, but it will be for the best. And that, as they say, is what is up.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Well, at least you have awesome parents. I'd move in with them. ;)

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

We're looking forward to having kids around for Christmas (and a bit after.) It will be a fun adventure, and a great ending. No sadness here, just looking ahead to that wonderful light up there.

John and Anna said...

I'm sorry that you have to deal with the pain of moving again before your final move, but I love your perspective.

I'm also sorry to hear about the set backs. It so hard to wait on other people sometimes. Especially when you have done all you can to speed up the process.

I'm wishing you lots of happy miracles. :)