Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ribbon Rose Hairbow Tutorial

How about another hairbow tutorial? Yeah, I think it's about time.

Ribbon Roses

Preliminary notes: These roses are quite small. I used 3/8 inch ribbon, 100 % polyester (simply because that's what I had on hand). The fun part about these roses is that you could use any ribbon color or shape. For smaller roses, use smaller ribbon. For bigger ones, you guessed it--use a larger ribbon. Any color, any size, sounds good to me! Because this project is so small, though, I was grateful for my mom's glue gun which is a smaller size and a cooler temperature than mine. I could get a teeny dot of hot glue and could also put my fingers right over it without getting blisters. So, I'd recommend a low-temp gun for this one.

Alright. Here we go. To make the Ribbon Rose, here's what you do:

1. Firstly, know what we're going to do: we're going to basically just roll up the ribbon in a tight roll. But we're going to twist the ribbon a few times and we're going to glue it down as we go. So, to start the center, turn over one corner of the ribbon and glue it down.

2. Curl it around so the raw edge is tucked underneath the roll of ribbon. There--no fraying for us! By the way, I keep this attached to the whole spool of ribbon while working.


3. Twist your ribbon once, so it kind of folds in half, then wrap the ribbon around the center and secure the inside with a tiny drop of hot glue.
4. Watching as you go, keep wrapping the ribbon a little ways, twisting the ribbon before each glue-down. You can switch directions of the twist or even do a double twist here and there, whatever you want. Look at your rose and make sure you glue it right where you want it. The more times you wrap it, the bigger the rose gets. Keep going around and around until it is the size you want it. Mine are about the size of a penny.
Hm... the next time I make a tutorial, I think I'll give myself a manicure first...
5. When the rose is the size you want it, twist the ribbon once and pull it under the rose and cut it off of the spool, giving yourself about 3/4 inch extra ribbon.
6. Fold the extra ribbon back on itself once and glue it down.
7. Now fold it back on itself once more so that the extra ribbon is completely hidden underneath the rose, and glue it to the underside of the rose. This double-layer of ribbon will help give the rose some body and stability, as well as a great place to glue when you're ready to attach it to a clip.
8. Clean up your hot glue spider webs, and we're done with the rose!
Now the fun part: how to use it...

For this pink one, I made a couple other pink roses out of various pink ribbons I had leftover from Valentine's hearts.

I made a small green loop, then glued together my roses...
...glued my green little leaf to the back, and attached it to a green-lined alligator clip. Tri-roses clippie! Way cute, and very petite, which is great for small babies.

But why stop there? Here I dressed up this rose with some brown loops in the back and another set of pink loops in the middle (seven brown and five pink). I've used buttons for centers of flowers before, but this is a great way to do it too--especially if your buttons (like mine) are packed away in storage for another few months. :DHere's a black and white one I did already on a baby shower gift. The gift was wrapped in plain white wrapping paper, then dressed up with a black ribbon around the gift and the hairbow is the finishing touch. Great for a baby girl! (This black ribbon was 5/8 inch, not 3/8 inch. I folded it in half and glued it shut first before I made the rosette, which made it a little harder to work with, but gave me the smaller result I wanted.)
Happy Hairbowing!

1 comment:

Sara said...

So cute! Love them all. :)