Friday, March 2, 2012

The House: 31 Weeks

To kind of mix things up, I thought I'd talk more about what life is like while building a house.

Cody and I usually go out together every Tuesday and most Thursdays, thanks to my mom babysitting for us. *This week, mom had surgery on Wednesday, so I didn't go out obviously. My mom is a-MAZ-ing!* All the rest of the days (Wednesdays and Saturdays) Cody goes out by himself. I try to bring lunch out to Cody on Saturday, mostly so I can make sure he eats a good meal during the long 12 hour workday. When I have the energy or the time, I also like bringing out treats for my group. I've made cookies and brownies and soup and bread and all kinds of goodies, but my most famous treats were either the hamburgers, the biscuits and gravy breakfast, or maybe the cinnamon rolls. All were a huge hit. I really enjoy taking out a little goodie to remind my neighbors that we care. :)

Cody and I always drive our black Honda Civic to the build site. Cody thinks it is a pickup. What good is building all night alongside your hubby if you can't flirt a little bit? I may or may not have gotten a leettle bit excited with the vacuum while cleaning the window sills and baseboard...
I love bringing out dinner on the nights we work together. We used to bring out sandwiches or stop by the store to buy something, but since we discovered we could take out a microwave, I've been getting more inventive. Of course, it's normally a Tupperware container full of leftovers, but we've also made microwave popcorn, warmed up chicken nuggets, etc. This week was my most exciting (and delicious) adventure yet: fresh salmon, which I prepped at home with butter and lemon, and pine nut couscous, also prepped at home. Just boil the water for the couscous, and then the salmon cooked for about 4 minutes. YUM! I served it along with some oranges, and some shelf stable chocolate milk that we stuck down in the snow for a few hours to get cold. Mostly, though, we work, and we try to work hard. We of course love a little chit-chat time, but it's always with work. Here's my he-man now, lifting some mighty heavy shelving. I told him, "Wait, I can help you with that!" but he was still too quick for me.
This week we got spend the whole time doing finish work at our house. Aah, so much fun to be in our own, warm home! It really is starting to feel like a home too. We put in closet shelving, baseboard, stair runners and window sills. (woops, I forgot to take a picture of the window sills... hm, I'll have to get that later.) We chose to put a 1 1/2" lip on the edge of all our shelves to add stability and a really nice finished look, and we are really happy with the result. Here's the kitchen pantry, all done! (See our little microwave set up right there by the air compressor?)

Here's the linen closet in the kids' bathroom. Remember when we widened it by 3"? I'm so glad we did that. :) This one was kind of an "aha" moment for me. Ever since choosing our floorplan, there's been a few things I've been really worried about storing. #1, we have no coat closet. #2, we have no mud room. So where can I keep things like my vacuum, coats, cleaning supplies, etc? Then it hit me--I have a linen closet in each bathroom! I decided to convert the linen closet in the kids' bathroom into the cleaning closet. So I left a large empty space at the bottom, tall enough (I know--I measured) for our broom, mop, and vacuum. There was still enough space above for cleaning supplies and extra soap/shampoo. And where will I keep my linens, you might ask? Well, that bathroom already has extra storage in a cabinet that will be installed above the countertop. I love brilliant moments like that.And, to solve the lack of coat closet, we asked our building manager if we could build a shelf and bench. We got the approval to build it now, but install it after the open house. Hooray! We can use the materials available now, and then it will just hang out in our basement until after we move in. We started the bench. It's not quite done--we ran out of the trim I want to use around the top--but I'd say it's looking mighty fine. It has 2 spots with boot trays on them for shoes, and I'll make a little pad for the top. The shelf is also being built, but isn't quite as far along as the bench is. You'll just have to wait until next week for that picture.
Here's some more closet love. Master bedroom, before it was all done. It is done now.

Lee's closet:
Anna and Katie's closet:The rods will be installed after we paint. And here's the Master bathroom linen closet:So that's our house. How about the others? You may notice... we started painting this week!
House 1: Caulk, Spackle, sanding, and extensive cleaning all done. Primer applied. Gutters on.
House 2: Caulk, spackle, sanding, and cleaning going on.
House 3: Caulk fixed and done, spackle and sanding done, cleaning done, primer done.
House 4: spackle and sanding started.
House 5: spackle and sanding started, caulk started.
House 6 (ours!): shelving done, baseboard on all carpeted areas done, bench built, window sills and stair runners done. Just need another delivery of some trim to finish off a few places and we'll be ready to spackle and sand!
House 7: Inside, not much has changed--just waiting to spackle and caulk. But outside, most of the siding has been put on. They got held up by a big wind and snow storm.
House 8: Trim, baseboard and shelves done; window sills and stair runners and all that jazz done. Ready for spackle and caulk.
House 9: Interior doors installed and closets being designed.

Wow, this post is getting LONG! It's been a busy week. Nearly everyone has come out during non-required work hours and we are all very excited about what is going on. It's so invigorating to get so much done and to be getting close to the end. Mostly, it's just a lot of fun to work on our own house and see our dreams come true!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I haven't thought about this until now, but this will be a great bonding experience for you neighborhood! How awesome to be living alongside people who you will know so well!

Laurie Fifield said...

I had a little aha moment there when you were talking about working in your house. Even though I think about how great it is all the time, every now and then your excitement hits me again.

Melanie said...

I remember meals in a dusty, empty house! Crockpot meals were heaven sent for us, as we had no appliances until just before we moved in. Sometimes I would bring our electric skillet, too. I don't know why I never thought of the microwave...