Saturday, April 28, 2012

The House: Saturday of Sod

Our last Saturday building deserves its own post, right?

Shrubberies!
Today has been wildly emotional for me.  I can't believe we're almost done with this build!  The things we've learned, the friendships we've forged, the work we've done... the neighborhood we've built....

Eric and Anna enjoying a little lunch break on the new front yard
Anyway.  Before I get too sentimental, we did sod today.  5 of the 9 houses now have their front yards done, including ours.  The rest don't have sprinkler systems ready, but the sod there will go in just as soon as we possibly can.

Cody and the crew, enjoying some lunch
Our whole team was asked to scour the earth for volunteers, and we were fortunate enough to get my brother in law Eric to come out for several hours--we are so grateful!  Also, my across-the-street neighbor who has been keeping tabs on us throughout the build babysat for a few hours so I could help as well.  There were quite a few people, and I just had to take this final opportunity to bring everyone lunch, hang out, work, and play together.  I made sloppy joes and potato salad and a bunch of trimmings.  But I should back up as well--we just hauled!  The sod went in so quickly, I am dumbfounded.  By eight in the morning they had the first 2 houses done.  Two more and park strips were done by eleven-thirty.  By two, all five houses were done and we were dismissed to our own houses to work for the remainder of the day.  Some extra sod had been delivered, as is pretty normal, so we took ours and laid it in our side yards.  We turned on our sprinklers for the first time, made sure they were adjusted correctly, turned on their timer system for 30 minutes 2 times a day to keep the new sod good and soggy, and then worked on window wells and helping other people around.

  
 One last look at the beautiful, amazing work of the day.  It gives me chills, then brings me to tears, then more tears and chills in reverse order, and mostly just excitement.  It's been nine months of building, and a year since we first applied.  Our lives have been rebuilt here.  This is our home.  *justoneweekjustoneweekjustoneweek...*
 

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow!! What a great accomplishment!! Congratulations!!

Sara said...

Oh, yay! I'm glad Eric was able to come help as well. Your house will probably win the race between big life events in our family. :P

Getting that grass in makes such a big difference!