Friday, August 17, 2012

Winner!

 Last night was a super fun Ward/Block party, and I brought these two gorgeous pies as my entries into the pie bake off.  While Annalisa fed the goats, Lee jumped on the trampoline for two hours solid, and Katie entertained everyone, I helped with the competition.  I promise I didn't sway too many votes. :D  This was our second bakeoff block party, the first being back in May with a cookie competition (which I lost, much to my dismay).  But last night's categories were Cream Pies, Fruit Pies, and "Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink."  And I must admit, from being just a block party, there was fierce competition!  Just take a look at the taster's table:
All the foil was because our biggest competition was flies. :P  Buuut... the votes came in, and I won the cream pies category with my Peanut Butter Cream pie topped with dark chocolate ganache and peanut butter cups.  It was so yummy!  It even beat the pants of the bozo who brought a restaurant pie.  ;)  A funny twist to this story was that as of yesterday morning, I'd consigned to not entering the contest because I'm just so busy.  During my walk with my friend, she said the same thing--we both wanted to make pies but just didn't feel like we could forfeit the time.  But by our second lap around the park, we mutually decided to shirk our cleaning and yardwork and do something that WE wanted to do that day: make pies.  I took the cream pie category and she won the Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink category.

Cody also unwittingly entered a pie eating contest, which he is proud to say he lost miserably, but really won because he didn't have a stomachache all night.  The rest of the food was bring-your-own-meat and potluck side dishes, and everything was delicious and lots of fun.  We love living here where people do fun things like this!  I'm certain it was a lot of work for the hosts, but there was a big committee of helpers that made it go smoothly.  I'm already looking forward to the next block party.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I hope you'll make a repeat at Thanksgiving. :)

Laurie Fifield said...

I expect to taste that pie at some point . . .