Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Distractions

I guess we're all prone to distractions at certain times, right?  I feel like there's been a few things on my mind recently that are causing more stress and worry than they really should be, and so I've just been trying to distract myself by doing silly things (like re-reading the entire Harry Potter series).  Maybe if I just get things off my chest, I won't be so driven to distractions.

We had a parent teacher conference with Lee's Kindergarten teacher.  He's definitely doing better this year, which makes me so happy, but there's still some focus issues, and the ever-present problem with fine motor skills.  His teacher did give me a list of ideas on how to improve fine motor skills, but I'm still on the lookout for ideas.  We've been doing some practice with cutting paper, and sometimes I'll give Lee an empty egg carton and a bunch of small items (most commonly--cotton balls, but we're moving even smaller and slipperier) that he must use tweezers to pick up and put one in each spot.  It's only been a few days, but I hope things like this help him.  To me, the difference between last year and this year is night and day.  I've just got to get the school to see how much he's improved.

Katie has weighed in at 19 lbs. 12 oz--at a whopping 2nd percentile for her age.  Her doctor isn't really worried, but the WIC office is.  They usually are, and I know I'm not starving my girl, and I know deep down that I shouldn't even be concerned about it, but when someone recommends to feed your daughter extra food because she's too little, it naturally brings up the worry wart in you.  So I've been trying to feed Katie some extra snacks during the day, which is about the only thing I can do.  She's very active, but even more particular about how much she eats.  When she is done with her meal, she will very quickly throw the food (and often the plate too) off the edge of the table.  So we've learned to take the plate away at the first sign of fulness.  I'll try to still feed her a few more bites, but she pushes my hand away.  At least she's not really picky--she likes to eat, just not one bite more than what she wants.  Personally, I think it's better this way.  She's learning to listen to her body.  I just need to make sure I couple it with giving her food when she's ready for it and not make her wait until she's starving.  I hope she's put on a pound or two by the time the next appointment rolls around.  I guess the best that has come of this is that the WIC office gave us an extra pound of cheese a month to help her gain weight... as if all that Katie eats is cheese... *snort*

And lastly, my biggest concern, which is really kind of hard for me to talk about... I've been sick.  No, I'm not pregnant.  I just have been not quite right for weeks, even months now.  It's getting worse too.  I don't like going into gory details, so I won't here; I'm just so concerned about getting better that at times it's hard to think about anything else.  I think it is something I'm eating, so I'm in the process or eliminating certain things from my diet one at a time until I start feeling better.  Unfortunately, our medical coverage right now just wouldn't cover going to the doctor for a slew of tests, so while I'm not keeling over dying, I'm going to avoid it.  Probably a bad idea, I know.  I just... I'm just worried, and I wish we had the money to go to the doctor, and I wish I knew what was wrong, and I wish I had the knowledge that whatever is going on isn't a permanent, awful thing.  I'm trying to avoid looking things up on the internet because I know that will just cause me to panic.  Like I said, I think I'm just eating something weird.  In the meantime, prayers would be nice. :)

I hope all of you are well!  We really do have so much to be grateful for, and so much to look forward to!  My mom put up pictures of Saturday, when we went to their house and did some projects, which was SO much fun.  The kids helped me make some cute Halloween decorations and Cody started building some shelves for our cold storage room in the basement, which he's already started installing.  I can't wait to show you all when it's done.  He's doing a fantastic job. 

Thanks for listening to my rant.  I needed to get all that out.  :)

1 comment:

Laurie Fifield said...

I love you. You are a great mom and wife. Did you get a blessing from your wonderful husband? I know that would help ease your mind. Too bad you're too old to be on my medical insurance.