Thursday, October 4, 2012

Family pictures, and what an adventure they were...

About a month ago, I arranged with a photographer friend of mine to take our family photos.  She was in the process of moving, and was going to be coming to our town for a few days and was offering a special photography session just for the days she would be here, and I thought it was the perfect opportunity.  So, I sent in our deposit and started looking for outfits and making the arrangements we needed.  I got a $10 off coupon at Kohl's, so I asked my sister to come with me shopping on Tuesday afternoon so that I could have some help on deciding what to wear (I'm terrible at these things! I find something cute, and then I second guess all my choices and end up talking myself into/out of everything... ugh).  Sara was a sweetheart and helped me a lot, and at last I had something for everyone that I really liked.  We also made a quick stop at Hobby Lobby and I bought fabric to make hair bow flowers for each of us girls that would match our outfits.  I came home from our big shopping adventure, set out the outfits on the bed with a smile, and went to check my email... where there was a note from the photographer waiting for me, sent while I was gone, saying that the circumstances around their move had changed and she was cancelling our photo shoot.

Frustration!!!!  I admit I cried a few tears.  It didn't help that I've had lots of other cancellations and random last-minute changes of plans in my recent past, and that I don't deal with those types of things to begin with.  I had to decide what to do.  Do I take everything I just bought back?  Do I try to take my own pictures?  Do I wrap everything up as Christmas presents?  I at last convinced myself that I should find a new photographer, because I really really wanted family photos, even if it couldn't be with this friend, and I shouldn't let a cancellation like this make me give up on what I want.  

I remembered that our awesome next door neighbor said he had a nice camera and enjoyed taking pictures, even if he wasn't a very skilled photographer.  I thought I'd give it a whirl.  He was willing to do it, and then we looked at the weather--with lots of wind and colder temperatures on the horizon, we said, why not tonight?  Mind you, it was 4 pm when we decided this.  So, I raced to my crafting desk and started whipping out hair bows while Cody and the kids made dinner.  We ate some delicious plain rice, bagels, and string cheese. :D  I fixed my hair and the girls' while Cody shaved and bathed Katie and helped Lee put on his new shirt.  Amazingly, we were ready to go at 6.  I grabbed a just-in-case diaper bag, got in the van and... it wouldn't start.  We tried jumping it to no avail.  

We apologized to our neighbor who was patiently waiting in his truck while we moved the carseats (very squishy) into our Civic, and headed up the nearby canyon.  About 2 miles up the windy road, Katie threw up all down her cute shirt, which of course stunk to high heaven in the already tight quarters of the car.  We rolled down the windows, pulled over for the pictures, and realized we'd left the diaper bag in the van.   So Cody used some napkins that our neighbor had in his truck, and took Katie by the side of a river and washed her up (although she still smelled something awful, but at least her shirt was purple and the wetness isn't noticeable) and she was happy again, now that she was no longer in the car.  Definitely motion sickness, poor kid...oh, how I know how it feels!  But we were there, we were dressed, only one of us had soiled our outfits, and by golly, we were NOT going to let this opportunity pass up!  We took pictures, and Lee plugged his nose between shots whenever Katie was around.  We got home just after 7, bathed Katie again, and fell asleep seconds after climbing in bed.

But the good news is, we got some cute pictures in there!  I hope you enjoy them even more, now that you know the incredible, but true story.










5 comments:

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

Those turned out adorable!!!

John and Anna said...

Your pictures turned out great! The outfits are so cute, your family is beautiful, Even after all that stress! I'm impressed that you were able to get everyone ready so quickly! And it was the perfect time for pictures, the leaves are gorgeous!

Kathy said...

So darling. I hope our pictures (Nov 3) are not so eventful but just as beautiful. Not much can compete with the canyon, though. Happy Family!

Granny D Fifield said...

Way to hang in there! Beautiful reward the pictures turned out so well.

Laurie Fifield said...

No doubt about it, you'll remember (and laugh later) with fondness that day and the story. If it had all gone along boringly, it wouldn't mean as much. I love the blue eyes with the purple shirts. The pictures are wonderful. Now to get a new one on your blog header!