Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Countdown to Christmas

Thanksgiving is past, and it's time to start the Christmas countdown!
Pretty humbly decorated tree, but it's ours, in our living room!

See how smart I am? I made our countdown candy chain with 3 pieces of candy per day instead of 1, so that each child can get a candy every day.  Sometimes I amaze myself.

It hit me today how good it feels to be excited for Christmas.  I've been excited in the past, don't get me wrong; it's just been a long time since we've had any kind of security at Christmastime, and when I was stressed about what the future would bring, it was hard to really get into the spirit of Christmas.  When I think about it, it's easy to see what was giving me such stress: last year we were building and had just barely moved out of our temporary house, in with my parents (for which we were so very grateful, but it was certainly stressful); the year before that, we had just moved into our temporary house after the most horrendous and emotionally difficult months of our lives; the year before that we were hurting for money, big time, and it was only because of the thoughtfulness of others and blessings from the Lord that we had anything under the tree at all.  Well, of course it is always because of the blessings from the Lord that we get to celebrate Christmas to begin with, and we are always very grateful for our little bit of prosperity... but this year is different.  This is our first Holiday season in our own home, that nobody can take away from us.  Cody is making more money now than he ever has, and while we're still hunting around for new job opportunities, we have enough to buy the gifts we want to.  The knowledge that we have enough, and even a bit to give back to others, gives me so much peace and tranquility.  I am grateful that I get to focus on helping others and watching my children enjoy the Christmas traditions I treasure instead of worrying about what will happen in the New Year. 

I hope you are all getting excited for Christmas too!  

1 comment:

Angeli said...

Yeah! I get to see your tree. Nice looking tree. Fun to eat out with the fam last night!