Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thankful 10

This morning there was an inch and a half of fresh snow on the ground, so naturally the kids wanted to go play in it just as soon as we would allow.  After breakfast and donning every piece of snow gear they could fit in, Cody took them outside to build a snow fort.  While I was out there with them, I heard the nail guns and air compressors running as the new teams build houses on the street adjacent to ours.  Wow, the memories came flooding back.

A year ago, on a day much like today, I spent the morning making chicken noodle soup and hot biscuits, and took them out to our build team at lunch time.  I took extra socks and pants and gloves for Cody, since his were soaked through.  I remember the evenings of frost and slick roofs and soaking in a warm tub for half an hour just to regain feeling in my legs. 

I love my house enough to not feel sorry for the new teams, but I do feel for them.  Today it is so surreal that we actually built our own house--that we survived those horrible cold nights and snowy roofs, and are better for it.  I'm grateful for those memories.  I'm grateful we built our house, and that we worked hard and endured the cold and wet and lived off of hot chocolate and caffeine for those months of building, because it has put us in such a better position.  But today, I'm very, very grateful to be done.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I love snow! We got about 6-7 inches today and yesterday. It's crazy!

Melanie said...

Actually, I just measured with a ruler. On our deck we have 11 inches. Awesome!

Marissa said...

I had the same rush of emotions seeing the snow and knowing I was not going to have to build in it. It's funny how something you thought was never going to end turns into just a memory. I really do feel for the new group and wish I could tell them how much it sucks but so worth it in the end. I'm so glad to be done, but so grateful for my home!