Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thankful 14

I'm grateful for modern medicine.

Last week Annalisa cut her finger as she was trying to get a drink with a glass cup.  It shattered in the sink and I'm not sure if she tried to clean it up or what, but the gash was deeper than any I've seen in my time as a parent.  I've never taken a child in for stitches before, but this felt different to me.  I raced around trying to gather insurance information and take care of Lee and Katie and stop the profuse bleeding and try to clean up broken glass, and finally I got to the doctor's office.  She didn't need stitches because of the location on her finger, so they merely wrapped it carefully to help immobilize her finger.  (Thanks again, Emily!)  I'm grateful that it was such a simple solution.

Also, we have a friend who was recently diagnosed with lukemia.  It could easily have been fatal, but after his first round with chemotherapy, his bone marrow biopsy showed no signs of lukemia.  What a miracle!  I've also been thinking a lot about vaccines and what an amazing thing they are.  A hundred years ago, the "normal" childhood diseases could leave you disfigured, paralyzed, or be deadly.  Now, because of vaccines and new medicines, we have nearly eradicated many of those most horrific diseases like Polio, Measles, whooping cough, and tuberculosis.  Amazing! 

I'm grateful that people have devoted their lives and their means to help others be healthy and strong.  I'm grateful for preventative medicine that gives me so much peace and assurance that not only am I keeping my children safe, I'm also protecting others by slowing the spread of disease.  I'm grateful for bleach and antibiotics and humidifiers and Kleenex, and doctors who are kind and nurses who are caring.  I'm grateful for my health and the health of my family.  As we enter cold and flu season, I'm grateful for all the sacrifices of others that keep us safe.  It truly is a blessing.

No comments: