Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Little Miss Independent

Katie is now 22 months old.  I can't believe how much she has grown in these last few months, and how rapidly she's continuing to develop.  She is picking up a couple of words a day now, and understands far more than she can speak.  Her dexterity is particularly amazing, and she surprises me every day with the things she can do: like put on her socks, take off her shoes, put her dishes in the sink, and comb her hair.  Of course, along with all these new skills comes the testing of boundaries and independence.  She's at that wonderful stage where if she doesn't want to do something, it's easy for her to pretend like she doesn't understand.  Or, she throws a tantrum because she doesn't know how to communicate her dislike (or we still make her go through with things she doesn't like...). 

Having Katie grow and get better at communicating is amazing, and so different from my first two kids.  I think the difference is that her older siblings are so much more responsible and capable than they were before she was born.  It is odd, slipping into this new phase of parenthood with older children.  I'm finding I really like having kids old enough to take on more responsibilities, like cleaning their bedrooms, bathing themselves, getting dressed, reading books, walking to school, playing outside or at a friend's house, etc.  Having these bigger kids puts Katie in a unique position, though, and consequently puts me in a unique position as her mother.  She's still a toddler, and I often overestimate (or underestimate!) how much she can do.  She certainly keeps me on my toes!  It is incredible to see my sweet children growing and changing every day, and how our family evolves to fit their needs.  But it's also tricky, because just as we find a routine that works, someone grows up a little more and things need to be adjusted for them.  It's certainly an interesting ride!

1 comment:

Granny D Fifield said...

It just gets better and better. Loved the picture of Katie.