Friday, February 15, 2013

The usptairs makeover, V-day update

We've been working hard on my birthday upstairs makeover.  And by me, I mean Cody.  :) As of Valentine's day night, the crown molding is up, the majority of the chair rail is up, and the casing around the windows is almost all up.

Remember waaay back when we were building and Cody designed unique corners for all the trim?  The rosettes above the doors, and little blocks for the baseboard?  Well, I do. :)  We wanted to continue this look with the new moldings, so Cody got busy designing and making prototypes.  When we were both satisfied with the look, he started building them.  We have corner pieces for the crown molding, corner pieces for the chair rail, and more rosettes for the windows.  He started using the term "knick-knacks" for all these pieces.  He built them, and I sat and listened to the Jodi Arias case (sorry, kinda got addicted to that recently) and painted them.  These pieces were the first to go up, because we have to measure from corner to corner, or knick-knack to knick-knack, when determining the length of the trim itself. 



After that, we started on the crown molding.  It also got primed and painted and cut to size before installing.  I am in love with the molding we chose.  It is very small, very petite.  I'm happy because it fits right in with the rest of the trim.  Most of the crown molding available is quite wide, but we have 8 foot ceilings and I didn't want something really bulky.  This crown is about half the width of our baseboard, which I think gives it more balance. 



The first priority was to get the caulking, putty, and touch up paint on the crown molding above the stairs, because we were borrowing a 2 story ladder for it.  I did the caulk on the highest part.  Oh man, I hate heights!  But it's done now, hooray!  The rest is still needing to be caulked, but we can do that with just a kitchen chair.  We returned the ladder. 

The chair rail and window casings are roughly the same process: measure carefully, cut to size, prime, paint, then put in place.  We haven't started the board and batten yet, but that's also going to happen.  So far, I'm just so thrilled!  I'm excited to be done and have the house all gorgeous again, but in case you didn't notice, Cody and I love doing these kinds of home improvement projects.  It's fun work, and awesome results are underway.  Can't wait to show it to you when it's done!

Oh yes, we did pause for the most incredible Valentine's Dinner EVER:
Garlic cream mashed potatoes, artichokes w/ hollandaise sauce, lobster tail, and beef tenderloin steaks... oh my gosh.  Like, oh.        my.  

3 comments:

Laurie Fifield said...

It looks even better in person. Can't wait to see it done.

Granny D Fifield said...

You two are really quite incredible. We are anxious to see it when you are done.

The SHEFFER clan said...

Your green paint is WAYYYYY more fabulous than "GI JOE GREEN". I had to laugh at that comment in your other post. I think it looks so good!!!!