Saturday, July 20, 2013

So much for a sweet comeback.

I went to the store today.  I saw that Hostess products were featured front and center, and was excited to join the throngs of people celebrating the return of this iconic American treat.  So, I bought an apple hand pie, which has always been one of my favorites.  I came home and as soon as the kids got in bed and I wouldn't have to share with them (yes, for shame, I know... just at a dollar apiece, it was a bit beyond budget for us to all have one and... well... I'm the mom) I pulled it out and had a bite.

Wow.  Sugar and preservatives and more sugar.  The crust was thick and stodgy, the filling was flavorless, and the sugar glaze on the outside just sort of flaked off all over my shirt leaving a sticky mess.  I think they were always this nasty... I just managed to fall victim to all the hype and cave into a memory of how it should taste, rather than how it really does taste.  Needless to say, I don't think I'll be buying more any time soon, and while I'm still happy to see Hostess in production again, I'll be happier to keep my cart prepackaged-treats-free and remind myself that yes, homemade really is so much better. 

1 comment:

Laurie Fifield said...

Yup, they were always that nasty. :)