Thursday, August 22, 2013

1st day of 1st grade

Summer's over already?  Wow.  I mean, I'm ready for it to be over... just not for the tomatoes to be done... Just ready for it to cool off and get some rain, I suppose.  But still, it has gone by very quickly.  Today is the first day of school for Lee! 


He is really excited for first grade.  In his own words, "I'm most excited for the two recesses, oh boy!  And I'm excited about math, vocabulary, and going home all by myself.  I'm also excited to have friends in my class and to make friends that I don't know yet.  I'll get new friends!"  He's also a bit nervous.  "I'm nervous for writing, because writing is real work for my arms, uuuuugh!  Nothing else.  Not riding my bike to school, that's easy.  Um, but I am nervous about cars because that's the only thing I'm nervous about.  And slushy roads! But that won't happen until winter.  So I'll look both ways and check for slushy in the winter."

He wanted me to walk him to school today, but after we parked his bike and got to the front door, he said "Ok mom, I can go the rest of the way by myself."  :')  What a grown up little man! 

One last cool thing: I mentioned before how Lee brought home a small pumpkin sprout at the end of Kindergarten and we put it in the ground, with no intention of it living.  But, it grew and thrived and is growing our most massive pumpkin of all.  Well, this week that pumpkin turned orange.  We showed it to Lee and... honestly, he didn't care too much... but I, the emotional mom, just see it as the sign of the end of the summer, and of him growing up and taking this next step in life.  The pumpkin is ready.  So is Lee.  It's been a big summer of growth for both.  Perhaps one of these years I won't be horrifically emotional on the first day of school.  Perhaps I'll eventually outgrow this strange feeling in my chest, like a knot of worms--concern, excitement, pride, hope, worry, mostly just love--all jumbled together.  Perhaps.  But I doubt it.

2 comments:

Laurie Fifield said...

That was a two tissue post.

Granny D Fifield said...

Definitely a well written "two tissue post." Thanks for sharing it. You don't grow out of that feeling when each one leaves for that first day.