Saturday, August 10, 2013

I am grateful for coupons

Back to school shopping!  My list yesterday consisted of:
Socks, underwear, pants, and shirts for Lee and Annalisa
New white dress shirts for Cody
New shoes for Annalisa and Lee
A few outfits for Katie
Notebooks
Markers
Crayons
Glue sticks
Pencils
Pens
groceries
and a whole bunch of other stuff.  I arranged to have Cody watch the kids while I went shopping by myself.  After lunch, I armed myself with a water bottle, a box of tissues (this pregnancy congestion means I pack tissues everywhere), and the focus of several hours of scouring the internet and mail flyers and newspaper inserts: my shopping list and a huge stack of coupons. 

It took me 4 hours and 2 stores (I still have one more to go, but it will be minimal) and I spent around $250.  I SAVED over $400.  Every family member is now outfitted, and I even found a few things on clearance for Elsie for Christmas.  I reloaded our school supplies and art supplies and grabbed a bit extra for Anna's birthday presents.  I feel pretty darn proud of myself.  The only thing I messed up on was buying too big of pants for Anna.  I recently purchased her pants that were too small, and I guess I was subconsciously over correcting.  I decided, though, while scouring the clearance racks at Kohl's, that I was grateful I had gone alone.  Even if I have to return to a store to make returns and get different sizes, it is SO much easier to shop without the kids!  Besides, then  I don't have to hear how some hideous Frankenbarbie T-shirt is "SO CUTE!" or worry about nap times and hungry tummies or just everything else that comes with being a parent, and they have no choice but to wear what I buy for them.  Mwahahaha! 

Seriously, when all is said and done, school supplies for 2 kids and clothes for basically the whole family... Under $300 feels very good.

No comments: