Sunday, October 20, 2013

The best distraction ever

I've been so caught up in my own discomfort at the end of this pregnancy that I knew I needed some kind of distraction to help me make it a couple more weeks.  I planned a trip to the apple orchard with my parents and hope to make applesauce next week.  I planned a girls-night-in with friends, painting toenails and eating chocolate fondue.  I'm even planning pumpkin carving and other fun Halloween activities and going to Grandma and Grandpa's fun concert next Saturday.  I also have my big list to keep me plenty occupied.  But the best distraction of all came Friday.  Happiest distraction? No.  Fun distraction? Definitely not.  But does it yank me out of my world of self-pity and get me completely focused on something else in a way that nothing else can?  Yes.

Our poor sweet Katie is sick with the stomach flu.  Anna showed a few symptoms at one point, but hasn't gotten really sick.  Yesterday, Saturday, seems to have been the very worst of Katie's illness.  She spent the whole day resting and sleeping and only ate a few bites of cracker, which didn't stay in her poor tummy very long.  At bedtime after her bath she didn't want to put on more jammies, she only wanted her pretty Sunday dress so we indulged her and let her wear that to bed... hence finding her in the above pose at 3:30 AM this morning.  Cody thought it was so heartbreakingly cute that he had to take the photo.  He gave her a blessing in the middle of the night, and today seems to be going a bit better, although she's still very sick.  I obviously kept her home from church.  When I called my substitute, I said, "I wish this was me calling to tell you I need a sub because I'm having a baby, but alas it is not.  I just have a sick 2 year old."  So, sorry, I'm not completely out of my pit of misery and endless wo yet.  :)  But Katie has needed her mommy this weekend and helping her has made me grateful that Elsie is still inside of me.  She's not getting exposed to these germs, and I'm able to focus a bit more attention on my Katie Bubble.  The best distraction ever has turned out to be simply thinking of someone else whose need is greater than mine.  But I still hope nobody else gets sick and that Katie feels better very soon.  It's no fun to have a sick kid. 

1 comment:

Granny D Fifield said...

Hope everyone is feeling good tomorrow please. Thanks for sharing this precious picture