Sunday, October 13, 2013

Trying to celebrate Halloween

To be honest, I recently realized I've been purposefully ignoring Halloween.  I was really wanting to have this baby before Halloween, so I've made plans for the kids to go trick-or-treating with a neighbor, I haven't even thought about costumes, and the extent of our decorating is what the kids could do themselves: put pumpkins on the front porch, stick our wooden ghosts in the ground, and draw a picture of a spider or two.  I really love this time of year, but I just wanted to ignore it because I didn't want to be a part of it--I wanted to be in the hospital or at home with a new baby. 

But as time is running out and Halloween is drawing closer, I'm realizing that my dream of having Elsie a week before Halloween isn't very feasible.  My sister Sara made a good point that's stuck with me--if it's this busy this year, it'll be this busy every year.  I don't want to negotiate a birthday party right in the midst of all these fall events--it's just not fair to Elsie, not when I have a say in it.  So, as I become more and more at peace with the date November 4 or 5 for an induction, I've realized that I can't ignore Halloween and I need to do some fun things with the kids--both for their sanity and mine. 

We're planning on going to the apple orchard next weekend, but I don't think I have the strength for a big corn maze this year.  Still, I've got the girls' holiday hair bows out and we're making pumpkin pancakes and soup and stuff.  What are YOUR favorite Halloween activities?  Anything a 37+ week pregnant woman can do (I don't mind if it sends me into labor)?  Annalisa keeps asking to carve the pumpkins, but we don't want to do that until it's a little bit closer to Halloween, and we'll probably also make sugar cookies to decorate.  At some point or another I'm going to have to put some costumes together.  I did find a great idea for myself... but you'll just have to wait for pictures of that one. 

Anyway.  I hope you are all having fun getting ready for the holiday season. 

3 comments:

Laurie Fifield said...

How about making soup in a pumpkin? :)

Kristin said...

My cousin and her kid decorated their door to look like a monster, it's pretty cute!

Granny D Fifield said...

You are really quite amazing! You're Halloween season will be a fun one with or without Elsie. Don't forget to come trick or treating. We'll have the bars ready. Grandpa says we'll take down the witches and only put up happy pumpkins.